Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I struggle with this too, it seems like things get away from me and either the house or the state of the craft suffers. I tend to do a big sweep of everything on a day where I can carve out a whole afternoon or evening to just focus on it, instead of doing little bits at a time. Once it starts to take longer to get started on a project than actually do it, I know it's out of control.

Just yesterday I decided my messy, disorganized craft closet needed to be reorganized top to bottom! It took me about 3.5 hours but it was so worth it.

I started by getting everything that wasn't directly craft-related out of there and putting it aside to go through later. Then I basically put like with like--heavy fabrics in one bin, interfacing and everything for handbags in another one... all my jewelry wire and findings in one plastic box, all my lip balm making stuff in another. I love the point when you're over halfway through and you can just start putting the random things that turns up in their new place! :)

So now instead of a crazy mishmash of stuff that I couldn't easily sort through I have neatly stacked bins and boxes. When I sent out an order this morning it was so nice to have everything for packing all at my fingertips. I'm going to make a jewelry order this afternoon that's all set up too. My knitting is all ready for me too. Yay!

susan

p.s. I'm planning to freecycle a bunch of the craft stuff I sorted out to give away, about three bags full of fabric, paper, glass, and jewelry stuff... but if any LA-area craftistas would like it, pm me! :)

2. # ADS

Ah, the eternal question.
    I'm blessed with living in a two-bedroom apartment that I can clean completely in less than two hours. And this time of year, I only work four days a week. So I get up early on Friday morning and go through the place like the Wrath of God, and then I can concentrate on other things. As for crafting, I do that whenever the inspiration hits and the heck with the housework--it sure ain't going nowhere!

Stuff gets done everyday in my house. Typically, it depends on what REALLY needs it, and we prioritize based on what we're just sick of seeing. If we're sick of walking into the kitchen and seeing the dishes overflowing out of the sink, we do the dishes. Usually, when I get home from work, my husband takes a nap before going to work, so I have some spare time. The baby goes into the highchair for dinner, Sesame Street goes on the TV, and I try to do one or two of the big prioritized things while she's eating. When she's done, I stop, and I play with her for a while.

Once she goes to bed, and my husband goes to work, that's when I sit down and craft. Typically, my adrenaline is rushing from getting the chores done and playing with the baby, so I don't have much of a problem staying awake, and it's really nice to have NO distractions whatsoever.

Basically, I look at it like this: when I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to talk on the phone, watch TV, go anywhere or play video games until my homework was done, even on Fridays. This was "totally unfair" at the time, but soon I came to relish in the fact that when I was done with the work, I had the rest of the day to do whatever I wanted, without that looming, "I still have to do..." feeling in the back of my head. I apply that same concept to my crafting. It's like my reward for doing what I needed to do that day.

Quote Originally Posted by delqc
    I also want to buy those box things for the magazines I keep (The Scientist, Bitch). I wonder if one could make these out of recycling something else?
    Cereal boxes.

http://www.flylady.net

Okay, I know some people don't get the whole FLYing thing (I'll even admit that I sometimes don't get it) but it does work for me, so I subscribe to her mailing list when the house is slipping and unsubscribe when things are under control.

We're like the triple whammy family (my husband and oldest child are crafty too) and I have a 2yo daughter ('nuff said) along with a home business and we're also homeschoolers.

I'm tired.

Jaysus, I bet you are! Take care of yourself, okay? 8-)

I do FlyLady, too, and am on/off with it most of the time. When I do it, it really helps. I'll probably start doing more of it, since I've just been accepted to grad school, and will still need to work and take care of the house & family, and will need all the help I can get.

What also works for me is to treat the house and housework like one big craft project. That way it doesn't get split up in my head and time as Something Else, and I have respect for my own housework. And let's admit it -- it feels good to have a nice clean room once in a while. Good karma.

most of my craftiness comes at night time after dinner during my favorite tv shows. now that my kids are at a manageable age, they will comehang out with me or make stuff too.

and i'm with jean - we can never stick to an organized plan, we lead a very kamikaze life that involves bouts of power laundry sessions - 22 loads, it all goes piled on the couch and then the four of us blast the stereo and fold all the clothes together. sometimes if dh and i are busy, the kids do it.

we do level one cleaning during the week, except for the kitchen that is level three every night. and then on sunday or saturday monrings we do level three cleaning all through the house before our day gets rolling.

all my crafty/creative stuff is last because i feel good knowing the other stuff is cleared and finished. i can't let myself be creative if there is clutter going on!

Those of you who use FLYlady, can you describe what you get out of it/how it helps you?

I've been to the site a few times, but couldn't decide if it would annoy or assist! ;)

It keeps me on track. It helps establish some kind of schedule/routine, which, as a mother of an ADHD kid and who has symptoms myself, I need desperately. By following the directions I experience feelings of success rather than feeling like a hopeless housekeeping failure. AND it also breaks down basic household tasks into manageable chunks so they turn out not to be so overwhelming. FlyLady has a nice, positive, supportive community as well.

I've done FLYlady, I've got a copy of Home Comforts, I own Talking Dirty With the Queen of Clean, and I always read organizational/cleaning articles online/offline and I've just decided that we women are too hard on ourselves.

Seriously, when I go to someone's home, I'm there to see them, not their housekeeping efforts. So I assume (or hope) my visitor's feel the same.

I have no problem popping in a Blue's Clues tape (for the kids) and knitting/sewing/gluing sequins on things in the middle of the day, and you shouldn't either.

A clean house is a wasted life.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads