Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hmmmm..... I'd agree with you up to a certain point. A lot of orthodox/ old-school housework is an effort to live up to a hopelessly impossible standard. (Even at its height that kind of housekeeping was impossible to accomplish unless you had a domestic staff.) And all you need is 20 minutes of a kid, husband and/or dog to undo a whole day's labor. BUT....

I need an organized house. If I let my housework go too long, my ADD kicks in and I derail, as does my son. Really. We literally start to shake and spasm. (!) We need the external structure that a calm and organized living space provides. It allows us to keep the internal mind organized and on-track.

And a clean room is pretty. We just had our wood floors redone. It's lovely when the afternoon sun streams through the clean windows and makes that warm golden wood glow. I like keeping the floor swept just to catch that glow. And it's comforting to slip into a bed that's been smoothed into a nest earlier that day. And so on.

2. # ADS

housework vs. crafting

I try to not let things pile up. I open my mail over the shredder and immediately get rid of the junk. I always make the bed and do the dishes every morning before I leave so if someone comes by later it's not a disaster. And I give myself a little job 5 nights a week (change the sheets, mop kitchen floor, scrub the bath tub, etc.) That way I have time on the weekend to craft. Right now I am working on weeding out my bedroom closet so each night I try on 2 items and make a decision to keep or to take to the thrift store. Less junk (non-used stuff) means less cleaning!!

I'm all for organization, and general cleanliness. I simply meant that I don't get down on all fours and scrub behind the toilet with a toothbrush. Well, not unless I'm pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by sead
    I'm all for organization, and general cleanliness. I simply meant that I don't get down on all fours and scrub behind the toilet with a toothbrush. Well, not unless I'm pregnant.
    HAW!!!! Oh sister, how I hear you there!

Your post reminds me of the time I was pregnant with my last baby, wandering the stores and due at ANY second. I called my husband in the middle of one shopping trip for some reason, and when he found out where I was he howled with laughter for a full minute before gasping, "On my lord, a pregnant woman alone in Target with a credit card!"

Wow, I wish I had the balance some of you guys had...eek.

I craft when I feel like it, but I don't have a separate room or anything. It's my kitchen island that becomes that creativity center.

Housework generally gets done before, just because.

And I have 6 month old twins, that have all of my attention....I've been working on knitting one of them a Christmas stocking for 2 weeks now.......absolute madness!!!

I wasn't able to do ANY crafty thing for about two years each after my kids were born. That you're able to even pick a knitting needle with TWO BABIES around fills me with awe.

Don't worry about finishing the stocking -- they won't know if it's there or not, or if one of them has a stocking and one doesn't. They will simply enjoy the bright colors, lights and emotions of the season.

6 month old twins....rock on. that is a big job and you sound so much saner than i could be!!

I was an impossible slob until I moved out of my parents house. My husband is something of a clean freak and in our early days of living together I just sort of learned to pick up after myself.

We have a 5 year old, a 1 month old and a guinea pig. My husband is very involved in open-source coding and he has a 9-5, I'm always making something new and I run a few websites. So neither of us really has a whole lot of time to devote to just cleaning.

When a mess happens, or looks like it's brewing I just jump on it so it's not a huge mess later. I do a load of laundry a day and that seems to keep things under control. Also, our 5 year old is fairly tidy too, just from watching us, I guess.

That leaves the rest of my time to knit and attack my other crafty projects.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_stroozi
    Quote Originally Posted by sead
    HAW!!!! Oh sister, how I hear you there!

Your post reminds me of the time I was pregnant with my last baby, wandering the stores and due at ANY second. I called my husband in the middle of one shopping trip for some reason, and when he found out where I was he howled with laughter for a full minute before gasping, "On my lord, a pregnant woman alone in Target with a credit card!"
    \

The week before I gave birth I was on my hands and knees in the kitchen with a flat head screwdriver, gouging grime from around the baseboards and kickboards of the cabinets.

I don't think i could have had any will in Target. I don't know, much less when a hundred things are going through my mind that I "NEED".

Back on topic, I have tried and tried to keep things up, but they do slip more than occasionally. I have every monday off work. While the baby is at school and my husband is at work I clean clean clean. It's theraputic, and I get the things done that really need attention. When I come home in the evenings it's everything I can do to pick up the kitchen after dinner and MAYBE a load of wash. I'm so tired. Then the baby needs a bath, she plays a little bit, then she's in bed anywhere from 8 to 10. If it's a long struggle night, I usually just go to bed with her. If not, then i'll take quiet time and knit or read. I don't want to spend the evening at 9 p.m. doing housework, knowing I will have to be awake at 6:30 a.m.

That is such a SMART way to handle it, jenmkat. I admire you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads