Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How do you balance craftiness and housework?

Hey craftygals,
    A practical question here: I have to ask you all, how is it that you manage a creative/crafty life and housework? I mean, how do you manage to create but also do the dishes, laundry, general house cleaning/organizing, shopping not to mention those of you with children (whoa). I don't have kids but I can't fathom it. Do you do it once a week? Daily? Do you hire someone to do it for you?
    Me? My fiance and I share a very small house and I find I spend most of my free time catching up on cleaning and such and before you know it there's not much time left for me and my art. I do set aside time but I find I can't really get into stuff unless my area (hence the house) is neat and clean. But it's a constant battle.
    How do you balance it?

2. # ADS

Nip it in the bud. Do when it gets dirty. I craft daily and I have a three year old and a two month old. Stuff like the dishes and spills and clutter get attacked as they get done. Bathrooms, sweeping, windows, etc. get down on different days so I'm not overwhelmed. I made a list when I started accomplishing things and now I don't need it anymore to remember what I'm doing that day. Flylady.com (or maybe it was .net) was annoying to me, but it's worth checking out the incredibly detailed website to get tips.

Re: How do you balance craftiness and housework?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSaffron
    My fiance and I share a very small house and I find I spend most of my free time catching up on cleaning and such and before you know it there's not much time left for me and my art. I do set aside time but I find I can't really get into stuff unless my area (hence the house) is neat and clean. But it's a constant battle.
    Holy crow, are you me?!?! (except I'm not engaged!!!)

Our lives are complicated further still by the fact that we live in two places (in a small apt in the city during the week and at a cottage in the country on the weekends), and the fact that I'm taking courses and the Special Boy trains heavily for a competitive sport.

We're still working on this challenge but getting better. A couple of things that have worked well for us is having a routine. Like, everymorning the Special Boy makes breakfast, and I make the bed, and work on laundry. Then we eat together. This time is usually adequate to keep us in clean clothes. He also cooks more often during the week than I do, and while he cooks I usually do other chores like pay bills/paperwork, vacuum, clean the bathroom, etcetera. And while he's training, I'm usually crafting or studying (crafting my brain!). Generally it works out. It falls apart sometimes when I cook, and he has to do a chore other than cooking. He's really not very handy, and he just gets distracted. Like the other night we were putting up shelves, and he spent 10 minutes trying to find a stud. He finally threw the stud-finder away in disgust. I found two in less than a minute. He's better at cooking, and I'm better at working with my hands in other ways. So we try to split up the work along those lines as much as we can.

I also have mostly accepted that I'm happier if there's soapscum on my tub, but I have an hour to kick back and craft. I don't always succeed in letting things go, but it does make me happier when I do.

We have thought of hiring a cleaning person, but our biggest problem is not putting away clutter, and I don't think we could afford someone 24-7 to pick up after us!

del

i guess i do a little at a time too. i have a few big crafty projects i'm working on a little each night. then i'll do dishes and just tidy up...dusting, vacuuming and bathroom is on the weekend. but then again i don't have kids and my job sometimes can be boring so i come home wanting to do all kinds of stuff....my husband has nearly cured me of my pack-rat ways, so we find it easier to tidy up here and there every day before letting it build up....

it IS a constant battle and i'm rarely on the winning side. wish i had some great advice but i'm usually just barely keeping up around the house because i have it rationalized this way - it's not that tidy but we're happy. i'd much rather spend my free time working on something that i enjoy rather than cleaning the house fo the sake off appearances. not that i don't clean up a bit if we're having company....and when the messes get on my nerves, they get tackled and usually i find some new muse/materials/unfinished project in the process.

the one thing that helped a lot was a good feng shui book to help clear some of the clutter. but my best piece of advice is to do what makes you happiest and you'll manage.

Balance?? What balance? hehe!
    Seriously...I not only have the house, 2 kids, an unhelpful husband, and a garden that only sporadically gets help, but I home school my elder son too. I try to get cleaning out of the way in the morning while my son does his school work, then after lunch we are able to enjoy something together, like art and P.E., then naptime (because me and the pre-schooler still need it!), then dinner. And after all that, evenings w/ the family and FINALLY after the kids are in bed, I can work on my own projects. Whew! It all works out somehow, and most of the time my house looks like a tornado hit. As long as we're not infested w/ vermin and lice, I don't sweat it too much!

I do what I feel like doing at that moment. Our house isn't dust free, or completely clutter free. But the dishes are usually picked up and at least in the kitchen if not in the dishwasher. Everything is usually straightened. Clothes on the floor and an unmade bed is the worst of our everyday mess... We do have a few areas of clutter. A pile of boxes from gifts from our wedding 10 months ago that I don't know what to do with (not empty). My pile of crafty stuff I need to get a desk and organizing drawers for.

I basically do what I feel like doing. If I try to clean or straighten when I really don't want to, I end up just throwing stuff away just to put it somewhere. :) All those things that NEVER seem to have a place to be put away.

It only takes less than five minutes to do little stuff, so I straighten the bathroom when I'm in there getting ready, I make the bed when I get up, etc.

The dusting, vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom and kitchen really well, is harder to fit in :) But it happens somehow.

***We don't have kids yet. :)

I usually do crafts at night anyway, when I never feel like cleaning. And in the mornings I hardly ever feel like crafting...so yeah. I guess it kinda works out for us.

Three live in my household. I share space with my husband and his brother and our place tends to be clean, but lived in. Magazines and craft supplies are in every corner most of the time. My brother-in-law works two part-time jobs and is home a lot during the day. He keeps up with the dishes, some light dusting and some vacuuming. It is his contribution to our household. My husband and I pay for household expenses and only ask that he help with maintenance. I ask my husband to give two hours each week-end to cleaning. This usually means he scrubs the bathroom and the kitchen. I do most of the laundry through the week while crafting. I simply stop to fold and start the next load. I also have people over for dinner almost every Friday. This forces us to spend some time cleaning house. When we stay on top of it, cleaning doesn't take very long and my husband doesn't fight me on helping. It has taken us nearly 4 years to work out this system, but it seems to work. I am responsible for most of the housekeeping, but I care about it more. If I do a little each day, I definitely have more time for crafting. Good luck working it out.

Balance? There's no balance. Crafts win every time!

Seriously, don't look in my sewing room, and occasionally the kitchen since I use the table as my cutting table. Oh, and the living room where I do some hand sewing. The master bedroom is where the ironing board is...I'm trying to build a case for finishing the attic to contain all my crap :-)

We have one room that's been sacrificed as the office/study/sewing room/studio that's been better since my fiance set up a table in there so I can sew (i used to lug the machine and all the stuff i needed into the dining room but rarely put it away afterward). We're ok with that room being a wreck. Otherwise, I try (not succesfuly) to stay on top of stuff. Lists help. On Tuesday I finally gave the house a good cleaning. By today, it's a wreck again. Our bedroom is always a mess, mainly because we hate to put away laundry. I know that if I'd just take care of things as they happened, as someone mentioned earlier, it wouldn't pile up. But when I just want to crawl into bed I don't want to put away clothes, so i pile them on the floor, and that's where they stay. :(

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads