creative recycling into fun play things

Anyone getting inspired by turning old stuff into toys?

We have so many cardboard egg cartons! We have been playing with them as big blocks (Sidra mostly knocks them down) and then I've been looking at them a bit longer--making mini furniture maybe?

Those stuffed bunnies are replicating like bunnies do!! I wanna make some boo-boo bunnies (to keep in the freezer and for gifties) by replacing the body stuffing with flax seeds. Debating on if I want to devise a way to make a removable flax pack, so they are washable.

Juice can lids are smooth and make great noise. I've been putting stickers on them for a memory game (future) and for now she can insert them like coins into a sour cream container with a slot cut out. She loves shaking it when she's done.

It's funny how the coming of fall gives me spark for anticipating cabin time. Time for a cuppa tea!

2. # ADS

My mom used to cut the egg cartons in half and glue them together to make catapillars for us to paint and decorate. We aslo cut and re-glued them in shorter sections to make snowmen to decorate! We used to have lots of craft time!:)

I love the memory game idea. My niece just turned two, and I think something similar would be great for her. Another recycling into toys idea I've come up with for her is to keep certain containers to make a set. For example, various food containers with a plastic coin set and personalized apron equal a grocery store! Toiletry supplies equal a beauty salon! First aid/health items with the proper bag and few dollar store items equal a nurse/doctor kit!

villages!

We pile all the recycling in a bigger box in the corner of the kitchen and once a week or so when we find ourselves with more time than usual, we dig through all the cardboard and plastic and make a little village. Cereal boxes become high rises, egg cartons get cut up and made in to little cars, milk cartons make cute houses, etc.

Sometimes we really get in to it, and paint everything. Sometimes.

I've never posted before. By 'we', I mean my 5 year old son Richard and I (and once in a while if my husband's not working he'll help us make the little cars).

Remove Ads

Ads