Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infant dry skin

Infant dry skin

Baby (3 mos) has some dry skin patches on her arms and legs. Also some chapping on her face and hands. Wondering what you do for your babies. Esp her hands and face, since she rubs her hands in her mouth. Poor little chappy girl! ):

2. # ADS

Express a little breastmilk and rub on the cheeks and other dry places. Works like a charm.

My two month old has dry spots on her forehead and flaky scalp skin. The doctor prescribed this cream that smelled like motor oil and all it did was gum up the skin and she looked so gross. I'll have to try the breastmilk idea. I know washing is supposed to dry it out more, but I found that if I wash her every day, it keeps it more under control.

Come to think of it, it sounds like a different problem, so nevermind. But thanks Fairgreenlady for the tip.

When my younger son was a wee babe, his little cheeks were all red and chapped looking. No matter how much i moisterized, his cheeks didn't get any better. The pediatrician prescribed a very mild cream w/ hydrocortisone to use for about a week, and it cleared right up.
    I can't recall what her diagnosis of it was, though. Anyway, if it doesn't clear up, have the doc check it out next time you bring the baby in.

When my nephew was a babe he had the red chapped cheeks. Nothing we put on it helped. My sister asked about it at his next pediatrician appointment and it turned out to be some kind of fungal thing that some babies get. They gave him an anti-fungal cream and it cleared up totally in 2 weeks.

olive oil (then it wouldn't matter if they put it in their little mouth)
    worked for my little one who had some a couple of dry skin patches.

Might want to check it with the doc first as she's so young...but petroleum jelly worked wonders with my older girl. We live at 7,000 feet so dryness is a constant battle...she had eczema patches on her legs for ages that finally cleared up with plain vaseline when nothing else worked.

as was mentioned-- olive oil works great, I also used sweet almond oil, but have to make sure doesn't have nut allergy-- if use and no reaction, are okay... The prob. with babes that young is their skin is highly absorbant and too much harsh remedies on skin will absorb into their pores, so edible high-quality oils are preferrable.. I preferred sweet almond because of its nice smell, I applied it at every diaper change and in mornings and evening...easier to remember... Sometimes dry skin is a sign of dusty house or allergies...

Well, I don't have a kid, but I have dry/atopic skin myself, and I'd recommend regular olive or sweet almond oil as well. Some people also like using jojoba oil, but I haven't tried it myself and I'm not sure if it's hypoallergenic. Mild hydrocortisone creams could be used as a last resort, as has already been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by PumperNickel
    as was mentioned-- olive oil works great, I also used sweet almond oil, but have to make sure doesn't have nut allergy-- if use and no reaction, are okay...
    Just for the record, almonds are not technically nuts (they are the seeds of a fruit related to eg peaches), so even if you have a nut allergy you aren't necessarily allergic to almonds. But of course it's always good to be careful, especially with infants.

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    My two month old has dry spots on her forehead and flaky scalp skin.
    I had that when I was a baby. I think it's called seborrheic dermatitis. My parents had to rub my head with oil (I think plain cooking oil, as this was in the Dark Ages (early 1980s :-)...olive oil would probably be better) and that made it clear up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads