+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any ideas on how to decorate around a mauve bathtub

We're buying a house and the master bathroom has a mauve bathtub.
    Unfurtunately, I can't afford to replace for awhile. Any tips on how to work around this so out of date color. Nothing to extreme with pattern. Something more feng shui.

2. # ADS

If it really is the only mauve thing in there, you might have to pick up the color in tiny accents here and there, like curtain rings or tiebacks, maybe a poster or something with just a bit of that color. If you have mauve toilet, sink and tub then keep away from anything else with that color, including toothbrushes.

Think of your own personal style rather than current trends in bathroom decor. For instance, I could see my sister using a dark purple moire taffeta shower curtain and curtains, with a very Victorian and almost goth wallpaper.

For me, I'd probably go with a more jungle look with shades of green for all accessories, possibly with a few silk flowers of that mauve as tiebacks or something.

Also, I'm sure that you could paint it somehow, for fairly cheap.

I agree with Lizzy Mahoney. The right shower curtain and accessories can really change the look. I would head to Bed Bath and Beyond, or someplace like that, where you have a zillion options for shower curtains.

Our bathroom was feather-painted in khaki and white, and I did a seashell/beach theme. I didn't like the seashell shower curtains I found, and white shower curtains were expensive, so we used a white polyester "Liner" as the shower curtain (Like a hotel, $3.99), along with a clear vinyl liner. With the silver seashell hooks, it made such a difference!

i would go to the paint store and grab some swatches to see what matches the tub best and take that swatch with you to the store and find a color that compliments it or just contrasts nicely. i'm really into not matching but having colors that look nice together. you might find something that will really make the mauve look good. for example, i had an unattractve baby poop yellow tub in my previous hell hole. i mean house. and it just looked grungy and yucky until i got some "dusty grape" rugs and towels. then it had a nice look to it and made the old fixtures and general crappiness look intentional and "retro" (for the most part....)

Maybe something like this will help:

http://www.colourlovers.com/index.cf...s&sortby=score

Or I'm sure if you google long enough you can probably find a better site than that. Try to find palettes that have your tub color in them, and choose your colors around that.

Alternatively, you could choose colors you like while ignoring the tub, and just try to keep it covered by the shower curtain until you get your replacement.

Thanks for all of the ideas!
    rratstarr - thanks so much for the link! Thats exactly what I needed. There's alot of colors and shades to tone it down, or up depending on what I go with. Thanks to all - open to more.

That is a great link!

My first thought was black and white stripes. A sort of retro look. Or a wallpaper that has mauve and orange flowers with black accents. Again, a sort of mod/retro look.

I was thinking mod, too. I love the old look of burgundy, olive, black and I'm sure mauve would fit in there.

If you hate the tub I wouldn't decorate around it. You can get/make a shower curtain that goes to the floor and just try and hide that sucker until you can afford to replace it.

I'm assuming you don't have the whole mauve set, toilet and sink - if that's the case then maybe grey!??

Good luck.

Ads