Gross Wet Car Smell

Last year, I bought a '92 Saturn from a kid for $300. It's an amazing car, runs wonderfully, not a lot of miles, and was certainly a good bargain. The only problem is that it leaks quite a bit. I don't really mind the wetness, it's not a problem, but the smell is driving me insane! People keep getting into my car and asking me if I have a cat, because it smells like cat pee. It's so gross. Any ideas how to get the smell out of my car? I've tried everything for the leak but I think it'll just be there forever. I'm not wasting money on a repair that isn't absolutely necessary.

2. # ADS

Things that mask the odor really don't help - try to get something that absorbs the odor, like charcoal. When we had a bad smell in our car I kept the ashtrayfull of kitty litter for a while to absorb the odor. (which is sorta funny advice considering people have told you it smells like cat pee!)

I drilled through the flooring of my leaking car. We get a lot of rain, and occasionally I thought frogs must be breeding in the back seat flooring. Spilled bird seed sprouted. Drill one hole in each section, after cutting a deep X through the carpeting and pad. Drains the water. Still after it rains, the interior of the windshield gets steamy. When it's dry, sprinkle baking soda over the carpeting and seats. Vacuum off. The little bit that remains will help to control the smell when it gets damp again.

I caulked everywhere. The problem with these leaks is that they don't always come from wherever you think. They might be in the seal on the back window, or on the trunk seal or above the windows or through the doors. I gave up after a year of trying to find the source.

I was going to suggest baking soda, that's what we use to soak up odors in our refrigerator. Maybe buy a car cover? heh, those might be expensive though. If you know someone who fixes cars, they might be able to find the leak, or see how much it would cost to just have your car looked at. A lot of times you can do that and they'll tell you that the seal on a window or door is bad, and you can fix it yourself w/ caulk or gum even (that's how my aunt fixed the leak in her van hehe).

The trunk of my Saturn got wet (left open overnight in the rain...ask my teenage son why, lol) and for a week my car smelled like ripe hiney. I bought a little bucket-type thingy of gel odor remover at Walmart and left it sitting open inside the trunk. It was freaking miraculous. I now have the sweetest-smelling car in town! Yay odor zapper!

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up using the kitty litter idea. I don't have an ash tray and didn't have any fabric so I wrapped some litter up in a dryer sheet. I got in after my car had been sitting in the sun and the smell was gone. With it being all toasy warm, I felt like a sock in a dryer. It was nice.

another idea is to put a fabric softener sheet somewhere, that usually works good too!

I left my car window rolled down one night and it rained like a mother. (The one night I decide to roll my window is the one night it rained that week... Go figure.)
    I ended up putting a really thick bath towel over my seat (to absorb the wetness so I didn't have to get all damp while driving) and driving with the windows down to let it air out.
    I also found a Virgin Mary air smeller-nicer at K-Mart for about $2. That and a buttload of Febreeze made my car as fresh as a daisy, at least, until I left the window down again. (WTF!?)

Remove Ads

Ads