+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is Gross. Bugs biting me in my sleep.

These little guys get me at night in bed. In the mornings the boy and I are covered in bites. The girl across the hall has em too. I don't think they are bed bugs because I got out my handheld microscope and looked all over the mattresses and pillows and found no sign of bugs or bug eggs. What could these mystery bugs be??

2. # ADS

Might be fleas. You don't have to have a dog or cat to have fleas. One way to check is to wear white socks and then sit somewhere reading or watching TV with your feet on the floor. You should start seeing the little black fleck of a body on your socks within maybe ten minutes. They are more likely to bite when you are relatively still.

Make sure you vacuum thoroughly. All crevices in the floor and walls and in furniture. And do that at least once a day. Throw out the vacuum bag after each complete vacuuming. Not in your kitchen trash, but down to the dumpster. If you have a dog, use Advantix. It's expensive, but will kill any flea that bites the dog. It's kept my elderly cats flea free for years, just by using Advantage and now Advantix on my dog or dogs.

If you have pets and can't borax the heck out of the crevaces in your house, steep a whole (sliced) lemon and a big bunch of fresh rosemary in about a half gallon of hot water for a few hours, just boil the water and pour over the lemon and rosemary and let sit until cooled. Strain and spray around. It doesn't keep for very long, though, so don't do what I did and make up a big batch for occasional use. It mildews.

FYI - you can also use this mixture as personal bug repellent. It's not sticky but you have to respray every hour or so. And it's quite refreshing in the summer.

I don't think it is fleas either. Neither of my cats have fleas on them or flea eggs.

when i lived in honduras i would wake up with about 20-30 new bites every morning. i think i was being bit by mosquitoes, fleas, and bed bugs.

i counted the bites.. i think there were 120 at a time...

anyways, i started rubbing the instant hand sanitizer stuff over my body before going to sleep. it kept the bugs away.

i now use it outside instead of normal instect repelent.

It really does sound like bed bugs. They are really, really good at hiding in the nooks and crevices of your mattress. Not too sure how to get rid of them though - there was a thread about them recently on glitter....

That happened to me a while back, I could have sworn it was spiders b/c I kept seeing spiders everywhere in my house and my office. I had work thorougly clean my office and i vacummed every rug and surface and washed all of my clothing and bedding in hot water and that seemed to stop the bites. I've had bedbugs and this was different, so it might not be bedbugs...but it could be, I have no idea how to find bedbugs.

jt

You won't see fleas on your animals until it gets REALLY, REALLY bad. They can have a pretty large amount of fleas without you knowing. I used to think that because my cat was indoor, never scratched, didn't have dander, or show any sign of fleas, that he didn't have them. Then my vet put him on the table, applied the advantage stuff and made me watch. We waited a few minutes, then she combed him with that flea comb thinger, and there they were- dropping dead onto the metal table. I was like, "!!!". Anyways, I started to use flea medicines after that display.

Don't just look at the mattress/pillows for bed bugs. If you have a bed frame they could be living in that. Especially if it has wood...all those joints and crevices are ideal for those mean little suckers! Also, they could be living IN your mattress...not on it.

I found this link that has some info on bed bugs
    http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef636.htm

It has this link to this PDF that lists other common causes for nightime bites

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ent/ent58/ent58.pdf

Hope these help!

Ack. It is getting worse. I now have two bites on my knuckles and one very painful one on my foot. The girl across the hall has one on her eyelid! We are going to put our heads together and fix this problem. I'm starting to think I will never know what little beasts are behind it.

Ads