Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

becoming an aunt! need ideas/patterns for baby quilts

My best freind is having a baby and so is my brother, so i am becoming an aunt twice over in the next year... i want to make quilts for my little neice and sex yet to be determined relative...I am looking for fun, funky quilts, not cutesy little bunnies or anything... its just not my style... so if anyone has any ideas or patterns or anything please let me know... also if you just have info on how to effectively turn a design into a quilt pattern that would work too... thanks!

2. # ADS

No ideas - just wanted to say that sounds like SUCH a nice gift for them! You can't go wrong!!! (I say as a mother who would have loved such a gift!)

i don't have a specific pattern or anything, but just wanted to mention to pay attention to your fabrics. i was reading somewhere that for baby quilts you want fabric that's easily washable but not irritating, doesn't fluff off...i don't remember what exactly, but you may want to look into that quickly or ask at the fabric store. granted much of the usual "baby-safe" stuff will be bunnies and kittens or whatever, but eh, good luck!

I haven't quilted baby blankets, but I have done 2 embroidered baby afhans, one in Winnie the Pooh design, like this (baby's room was Pooh theme), and one with baby animals embroidered on it (baby's room was a jungle theme). both tuned out beautifully and mom (my sister) loved them - only problem is she thinks they are "too good to use", so they just sat in baby's room hung over a chair. Not very exciting. I specifically made them to be used.

For a really simple baby blanket I have done these with two-sided polar fleece. THey really easily go in the washer/dryer, but they are not quite heirloom quality (which is what it sounds like you are looking for).

I'm not sure if gathering the materials would be feasible for you, but I recently finished making a quilt for my daughter out of cut-up squares of the dozens of flannel receiving blankets I'd received at my baby shower. Since she's outgrown them now, I made a big quilt out of them - it's the perfect "blankie"!

Here is an awesome site for retro fabric: http://www.reprodepot.net/fabrics.html

**ETA***it's pretty darned expensive, though.

My mom has made several rag quilts out of baby flannel. They are super soft and frayed on the outside so they have some visual interest. She simply cuts out 4 or 5 inch squares and sews them wrong sides together. She then cuts fringe into the parts sticking out from the seams. After that she washes the quilt top once to induce fraying. She adds batting and backing and voila, she has a baby quilt. She sometimes adds pretty embroidery to the quilt squares, too. I'm sure you could google "rag quilt" for much better instructions. Have fun with the babies!

nice link to the retro fabric...

i had actually just found that on google looking for cool fabrics when i came back on here and saw your post.. it is expensive, but i dont need too much for baby quilts, so i bought two yards of the tattoo flash, one in tea and one in black and for my brother's baby i am gonna make a cool blanket out of that and black and white polka dots or stripes or something... (both he and his wife are heavily tattooed and would love it!) I want to make something that will actually get used and will still last through a billion washings ( is still have my baby blanket, which is falling apart and i am in my late 20's). thanks for the tips!

Thank you for that link to repodepot, BTW! I had it at one time, but somehow managed to blow out all my bookmarks. My husband collects mid-century furniture, and I want to make pillows that would work for it and our 30s CA bungalow.

As for baby quilts.... a friend of mine made a glorious quilt for my daughter, but just with regular cotton weave. It was too heavy to put on her as a baby, so I hung it on her wall, then put it on her bed as an accent when she graduated out of the crib.

My MIL knitted a blanket then quilted a piece of flannel onto it. It was so heavy I used it underneath her for cold night batting.

My mother took yards of Polartec, doubled them and then sewed a blanket binding on all edges. These were ideal - warm and light. She also found some really wonderful flannel somewhere and did the same thing. I used them all the time.

My stepmom had a quilt made for me by a local TN quilter (we're in So CA). It was blocks of the backside of a little boy wearing a hat, with a handkerchief sticking out of one pocket. (This was for my son.) Adorable, but I didn't use it in the crib - too hard. I hung it over the rocking chair back instead.

When you're a baby's mom, you soon discover that although pretty is nice, practical/usable/machine washable beats pretty and useless hands down. Make one of each!!!!! I still have ALL the handmade blankets from all the grandmas, and I will NEVER let them go.

I have made some pretty DARN cute baby quilts (yes im tooting my horn)
    its SO easy too...
    I pick one funky print (I found a great fireman fabric once) and I get about a yard and a half of that. Then pick 3 or more contrasting solids or patterns and only get a 1/4 to 1/2 yard of those. Cut long stripes of all the fabrics and sew them together (imperfect makes it even cuter). Sew all of the stripes together for as large as you want the blanket ( i make mine about a yard square) and then take your funky print and use that as your backing, stitch in all your ditches and your done. (VERY EASy!) You can also pick one graphic and applique it to either side. I did a fire hydrant (sp?) for the fireman one, and have done a dragonfly as well.
    I have pretty much finished these in a day or a weekend at the most.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads