Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apartment Decor

i love jars... big jars, little jars, whatever! I fill them with pennies, marbles, candies, plants, or just leave them empty. they look great near windows to catch the light.

also, i would recommend putting some shelving units on the walls. not only will this be insant storage (critical in a small apt!), but they are a great way of displaying knick knacks that would otherwise live under a bed.

ps. i second the thrift stores idea.

2. # ADS

Shelves will be your best friends... trust me. No matter how many you buy, you'll always need more. I am a jar collector (to the frustrations of Mr. Lainie...), among other things. One of the things I did when we moved here was to request art from all the people I could think of. Maybe a little tacky, but I've got several original works from my friends.

Also, another cool thing (especially if you're hitting thrift shops and garage sales) is to get a bunch of knick knacks and spray paint them all one color. It really helps to pull things together, and what's super ugly in regular colors can be fab spray painted black, red, or white... or whatever.

Shelves will be your best friends... trust me. No matter how many you buy, you'll always need more. I am a jar collector (to the frustrations of Mr. Lainie...), among other things. One of the things I did when we moved here was to request art from all the people I could think of. Maybe a little tacky, but I've got several original works from my friends.

Also, another cool thing (especially if you're hitting thrift shops and garage sales) is to get a bunch of knick knacks and spray paint them all one color. It really helps to pull things together, and what's super ugly in regular colors can be fab spray painted black, red, or white... or whatever.

Fabric "Wall paper"

I love using cheap fabric as faux wall paper. You can staple it to the top of the wall at the ceiling and to the bottom at the floor. It can be changed as your mood changes, and when you move you can just pull out the staples and use a little toothpaste to fill in the holes (of which you will find very few noticeable.) If you get a lot of dust, dust bunnies, or cob webs (what is a “Cob” and why does it love leaving its entrails all over my walls and ceiling so much?) you can pull it down and wash it from time to time. If you think you might want to wash it at some future date, you will probably want to wash it before you cut it to fit your walls, because it will shrink when washed and then you will need to come up with a clever solution for that annoying gap at the top or bottom; although this can lead to some interesting décor moves as well.
    Remember that lighting can do more for a room than anything else. It sets the mood, defines the space, and tells who you are. And any well dressed boudoir should have at least one pink light bulb. It has the same effect as chocolate, without the calories. As the song says, “It’s almost like being in love…”

I took a 48"x48" canvas and painted it red and hung it on a wall. ads color to the room and I don't have to repaint it when I move.

Easy

IKEA?

/J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads