Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Music for Toddlers and/or School-Age Kids

Hi Crafty Moms, Aunts, Kids-at-Heart,

I have 3 nephews who are 8, 6 and 3. I want to get them some cool music that won't make their parents go insane. They already have TMBG's No! and my friends' for-kids-band, Funkey Monkeys*. What do you and your kids like? Alternative, funky, weird, traditional, not-for-kids-but-kid-friendly...I want it all.

Thanks in advance!
    Aunt Leaf (Leigh)

*Awesome, awesome - I highly recommend the FMs. The first time I played the first disc for my nephews they instantly started dancing. Hilarious.

2. # ADS

had a thread going on a while back with non-kids music for kids here:
    http://getcrafty.com/viewtopic.php?t...=nonkids+music

that way you're not spinning the wheels on the bus!
    the only kids music i will really tolerate is dan zane.

Thanks sarabell! I'll check it out.

I'll second Dan Zanes and Friends. I like his album of sea shanties the best.

Definitely check out Dan Zanes (like everyone else suggested). I used to teach preschool and my students and all the teachers loved him. If you go to his website you can hear samples of his music or some libraries also have his CDs to check out.

We also like Dan Zanes, but my 3-year-old's very favorite is Riders In the Sky. They are a cowboy band who have been around for years and got involved doing children's music though Toy Story 2 and Pixar. They won the Grammy for children's music for their "Woody's Roundup" cd (which we listen to DAILY) and later again for "Scream Factory Favorites"...it's fun stuff.

My friend's 5 year old LOVES eek a mouse. But there may be some content issues there. (ska-y reggaey stuff)

I definitely second the Riders in the Sky. They had a very short run saturday morning show as well.

Another Dan Zanes fan here too! We got to see him a couple months ago here in Asheville, NC.

They Might Be Giants has a kid's music cd as well.

I don't have any children of my own, but my brother has a two year old daughter who absolutely loves Tupac and Ice Cube, granted it's not childrens music, and he doesn't play the songs that are too bad, but one or two from each album. When she was just learning to balance herself by hanging on to the coffee table, she'd shake her little bum to Outkast's Bombs Over Bhagdad.

Growing up I had one record that was kids music and that was Sessame Street Fever, everything else was Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper and tons of other classic rock. I'd suggest just making a mix tape or CD for them so you can ensure that there isn't any objectional language, plus give them a wide range of styles to try out to decide if they like it or not.. Soundtracks to kids movies are great too, the Shrek soundtrack was awesome because it was kid friendly plus adults wouldn't mind too terribly listening to it too. But I'm not a very good influence musically for kids, years ago I had my 5 year old cousin singing Where Eagles Dare by The Misfits, that was a great surprise when she sang it for the whole family over x-mass dinner...

Putumayo's world Playground, African Playground, and Latin Playground have good world-music choices for kids. Also check out their Dreamland CD for really beautiful lullabies, that are also great for relaxing for grownups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads