EWW gross! mold growing in the corner, HELP!

Hey all,
    I could REALLY use some getcrafty advice! My boyfriend and I live in an older apartment which is really nice, overall. He had been storing the cover to his old seventies Rhodes piano in the corner, and without either of us knowing it began to grow mold. We think that the lid was probably already slightly mildewy/moldy because he let a friend borrow it, and that friend didn't take good care of it (ie, left it sitting under an open window for weeks where it probably was rained on).

Anyway, once we realized this we cleaned up the lid right away and wiped down the corner after drenching it with lysol. It looks like maybe the floor was slightly damaged from the mold, though, because there are now some black spots there (we can't remember if they were there before). Also, a couple of days later and the mold is starting to grow on the wall again. Any suggestions, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?! it's really grossing us out and we're desperate. Favorite cleaning methods or products, anything really heavy-duty that will work wonders...

Thanks in advance!!!

2. # ADS

Use a bleach solution or a bathroom mildew killer. If it's coming back, though, I'd worry more about moisture in the walls. Buy a Damp-Rid (I think you can get them at Target in the US). It's a little bucket with holes with some salt rock stuff that pulls the moisture in and drips into another little bucket. If it fills up fast, I think there's a problem with humidity.

We have a foundation leak and a few months ago, the humidity inside was 95% for several days. The toilet and walls were sweating water and it was puddling on the floor. After we got the humidity under control and everything was wiped clean, the mildew didn't come back.

i will buy a damp-rid, thanks for the suggestion. actually, i think you're probably right - we do have a humidity problem. it wasn't bad in the summer, but now that it's getting wetter outside it seems like it's always kind of muggy in our apartment, especially in the bedroom where the mold's been forming.

any ideas on how to get rid of that excess humidity? should i notify my landlord or is there a simpler solution? a de-humidifier, perhaps? (unless, like you, we have an underlying problem like a foundation leak).

definitely let the landlord know. If the landlord doesn't suggest anything, a dehumidifier is a good idea.

We had some in a wall in our closet last year. The Tilex mold/mildew root killer works great! We actually had it 2 years in a row, but since using that, it has not come back at all.

We have a dehumidifer in the basement of our cottage. It works great - the air smells different, it really takes away the mustiness.

They're expensive though. The one we have cost $300 canadian - yikes. A smaller one might work for you if it's just an apartment.

Ours can be hooked up to a hose that runs into a drain. This is ideal as we are not there during the week and can't physically empty it.

Quote Originally Posted by delqc
    Ours can be hooked up to a hose that runs into a drain. This is ideal as we are not there during the week and can't physically empty it.
    That's nice. Ours just has a bucket that has to be emptied daily.

For_Esme, the landlord should foot the bill for a dehumidifyer. Ours did after we told him about the mildew. It's really his problem - it's his building and mildew kills paint so he's going to want to do something about it. It took a few days for us, but even with the foundation leak (that the landlord refuses to admit), the humidity in here hovers between 50 and 70 (70 when it rains, most of the time about 55). Which isn't that bad.

Mold

To clean mold, you need 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Also, you can take a tape sample and submit it to a microbiology lab to see if the mold is 1. toxic, 2. growing, or 3. dead.

Simply take a peice of tape and gently press it to the mold. Pull the tape off and press it to the inside of a plastic baggy. Mark the room and the date on the bag. Tests should run you about $40.00 for 3 - 5 day turnaround.

i think you have black mold. i had that in my house in ny and the only way i got rid of it was with bleach as has been suggested to you. it was in the wood floor where i ripped up carpet and i was very hesitant on using bleach because i really don't like bleach and i was worried about ruining the floors further but, it was ok. i just kept swabbing the bleach mixture onto the floor with a mop. it took about 4 days of doing this in a row to get rid of it and it didn't come back but, i only stayed there for a year.

Amen to the bleach suggestion. We had a really wet spring/summer last year and developed a bit of mold in a couple of our bedrooms. We actually had a mold expert guy we found in the phone book (like under industrial cleaning or maybe even under "mold"-- I can't remember) come out to look at it. He had this nifty little meter that could tell us what the humidity level in our house was, and he analyzed our walls, etc. He determined it was a pretty superficial problem and suggested we wipe it down with a bleach solution every once in a while. It worked! Even better, he didn't charge us for his time!

Remove Ads

Ads