Thread: Nursery Decor

Nursery Decor

I'm losing my craft room but gaining a baby! So I'm beginning to think about all the ways to make this a cozy room for the little one to come and I was hoping to hear/see (please post photos!!!) how you've decorated a space for your babies. I think the theme of the room will be 'repurpose what I already have', I'm planning to buy very little new stuff. I'm about ready to shove all our existing stuff out of the window as it is. Nesting is coming early for me this time around.

I'll post when I get the job done, I've got some time ('bout 6 more months).

2. # ADS

None of my babies had a nursery, exactly. When my oldest daughter was born she slept in a bassinet next to my bed or in my bed. When she outgrew the bassinet we set up a crib in the corner of our room. When my second daughter was born it was the same set up.

When my daughters were 2 and 5 months we set up a bed room that was just yellow with butterflies and repainted old dressers.

When my oldest son was born we had moved and our bedroom was once two bedrooms so we set up a crib and things in that side (again, bassinet next to my bed)

Now that #4 is here...can you guess where he is?

I think repurposing what you have is a great idea. I really don't like themes for baby rooms, or over doing it, either. The baby won't really appreciate a room until he is ...no longer a baby. We have moved and are down to two bedrooms. My oldest son is one and a half and he couldn't care less that he has a crib in the corner of my room. All he cares about is sleeping with mama and torturing his sisters.

Congratulations! That is totally what we did the first time round. We already had a dark green duvet on the bed, so we painted the walls a lavender color, and went with that sort of theme. (Green and purple-ish. I guess it is sort of Scottish.) Lavender crib sheets and covers....

The funny thing was the baby was hardly ever in that room anyway. Except to sleep, ya know?

art work

One idea I love is color photocopying nice artwork from classic kids books and then framing them... Inexpensive and a nice touch.. Making your own sheets from old sheets is easy.. I made crib fitted sheets for a friends.. craigslist.org is a great place to get second hand baby stuff.

Think storage. Baby stuff can take up an incredible amount of space, and you'll want to be able to organize it well enough to be able to grab it when you need it.

Congratulations! How beautiful and lucky again!
    I have a 14 year old boy and a 10 month old baby boy (a tad hesitant I know). Both has and have slept in our bed from the second week born (it tends to be a drag if you're breast feeding - up and down, up and down. Besides, snuggling with them is so sweet and rewarding). Both have/had a bassinet, crib, and playpen (mostly waisted money. Not the playpen nor the swing!) The oldest one didn't detach until he was almost 2. With him I was always re-doing his room. From primary colors, to Noah's ark, to Safari, to an aquarium theme, to jungle. I wish I did have pictures to show. I have to admit they all were pretty cute.
    We(finally after renting) recently bought a house in TX coming from CA (about a year ago). I was so excited and very committed to painting the baby's new room a nautical theme (for him and I both). When he was conceived we lived on our boat in CA, so I thought it was kind of fitting, and for me, because it's soothing and would feel more like home.
    Shamefully, however, to this day I haven't done anything with his room
    other than use it to store all of the unnecessary stuff I got him while I was pregnant (ie. the crib, (he sleeps in our bed), changing table (easiest to change him on our bed, or on the floor), hamper (his clothes go in ours), diaper rack, (leave them in the pkg) etc.. You know..
    Anyway, to get to the point. I was looking through the April (05) issue of Better Homes and Gardens and there is the coolest room I've ever seen. I had no idea there was such a thing as chalkboard paint. They painted 1 entire wall with it and created a theater around it with navy blue velvet curtains that rolled around a custom-made curved frame painted yellow with a blue stripe in the middle, the bottom and back side also painted blue (close to periwinkle blue). Hard wood floors, with a fun decorative rug, big bean bags and a little table set.
    The ceiling to floor bookcase full of kids books was pretty cool too.
    I realized at that moment that I want him to enjoy his room for a long long time. Not redo to the point he doesn't appreciate it like I did before. I want it to be his play room and his bedroom as well. I'm going to try to incorporate them both. Just not so babyish like I was imagining. As 10 months has gone by so, so fast. Not to mention 14 years.
    I was encouraged by his great-aunt to do the Peanuts theme. Cute idea, but I'm no artist like she is. A bit out of my league.

It's a good thing that your nesting has come early. Once the little bundle is here, there's not much time for anything else. Remember?

Gosh, sorry this is so long...

I never had themes for my boys' rooms. Too much expense. But I wish I had at least stuck with a color scheme. Oh well. No point now. My younger son is ready for a big boy bed as soon as I actually drag my butt to the mattress store!
    with my older son, I did actually put up a cute wallpaper border. But I hung it too low and he peeled it in the spots he could reach from his crib!!
    The one thing I was glad to have in their rooms when they were/are small, is my glider rocker. I nursed both my boys in that chair, and bedtime stories are still read in it. The chair is still in my younger son's room. And when I needed a bit of soothing myself, I would go rock in my chair.
    I never bothered with a changing table. The couch or the floor do just fine for me! Never had a swing b/c there's just not enough floor space in this house. Pretty much just the crib, dresser, and a low bookcase, along w/ the rocker was all I ever had in their rooms. Toy box came later as their toys got bigger!

I, on the other hand, never could have done without my changing table for both my kids (bit of a back thang for me going on) and I appreciated the storage space underneath it.

My husband for some reason could not stand my rocker, and convinced me to sell it right before my 2nd was born. How I missed that chair!

Remove Ads

Ads