Displaying Holiday Cards

I am looking for some creative ways to display holiday cards. Any ideas?

2. # ADS

We have 2 very wide arches leading into our living room. I have always put tape on the back of our cards and hung the cards on the trim facing in towards the arches, if that makes any sense. Kind of boring, but it works!
    If I didn't have those wide doorways, I'd probably pin the cards to lengths of ribbon hung on the wall.
    When I was little, we had a giant felt banner with a large felt tree in the middle. Our cards were pinned to the felt tree as if they were the ornaments.
    Once upon a time, I was thinking about using small clothes pins, painted in holiday colors, and attaching them to some kind of wood structure to be hung on the wall.
    How about one of those fabric boards? Either one with the ribbons that criss-cross, or one that has the fabric pleated to create pockets?
    Boy I'm just full of ideas today! LOL!
    Good luck!

We have a small basket set up in the middle of the dining room table with our current cards in it so guests can look at them. When the next Christmas comes, I get out the old cards and make boxes out of them, attach ribbons and put them on the tree. If, by making the boxes, I have to cut out the name of the person who gave it, I just write it in myself so I'll always have that reminder.

I started this tradition several years ago with a couple boxes of cards that I made into fans, chains and boxes to decorate the tree because we had a young one and I wanted her to enjoy the tree, too and not have to hear "don't touch" all the time. Also, if she swiped the ornaments and broke or lost them, it wasn't a problem.

That's a great idea to recycle old cards.

We have a triple ladder bookshelf and I just set them on the shelves. My mom used to pin them to string of lights that went around our door.

My mom used to hang large strips of ribbon and tape/blutack? the cards on the ribbon and display them this way.

For the life of me I can't figure out a better way to describe that.

if you don't want to put tape on the backs of the cards you can also use clothespins and clip them on a pretty ribbon

I strung a huge string [okay that sounds weird.] over one of the large windows in our house. On it, I put a whole bunch of paperclips. As we get cards, I just slide the clip onto the back of the card. Then they still can be read, and you can move the paperclips to evenly space them.
    My parents used to just stack them on the table, but it made this huge pile, and then no one ever saw them.

My mom did something very unorthidox in one of her apartments in the 60's. She pained a huge round black circle on one of her walls. On holidays she would decorate it. Christmas she would arrange the cards inside the circle. One time she shaped the cards into a pine tree shape. I'm sure this is a bit extreem, but you could adapt the idea.

Tomico

Thanks for all the ideas! So far I have just been sticking them all in a cute basket, but yesterday I got an antique photo tree thing- metal/used for cards, photos, etc and I am thinking about using that instead.

Remove Ads

Ads