Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pet photos and issues

hi

I am a dog mom of two --fraternal twin toy poodles. Brother and sister of the same litter. I have seen a few different threads of this nature come up but couldn't find them in the list of topics so I thought I would start a new thread.

I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss the joys and tribulations of being a doggy (or kitty or guinea pig or whatever) mom.

In particular for me my dogs know certain tricks, but have trouble with some standard ones. for example they ring the bell to go outside, and they understand "go potty." So why everyone thinks this is super but they still jump on every new person we meet. (it doesn't help that most pople WANT them to jump on them) They sit on command but won't go to a down position. They heel perfectly most of the time (we live in the city so I am a stickler for that) but have trouble with playing before I give them permission. I am trying to say Wait, then I say ok playtime. If this is confusing I mean when I am walking them to the dog park and let them off leash. I will let one off and then that one won't wait for me to let the other off they'll start wrestling. Oh and they are two so they are dogs but they have a ton of energy still.

So if anyone has any tips. Let me know...
    And here is a picture so you can see their ultimate cuteness.
    [/img]

2. # ADS

I don't have pets right now but I wanted to say what a beautiful color your dogs are!

thanks, sjkmaurice, I love their color too. The white blazing is considered a mismark (cosmetic defect) for poodles, but I still think they are the cutest.

We had a birthday dinner for an elderly relative yesterday. Largish family, no small kids. My well behaved dog stayed by my feet under the table, but she's 60#, so she was by a few other people's feet, too. When she got out from under the table at my command, everyone was congratulatory. I released her via command, she wondered about then came back to join us. Only now she had a huge cat 'treat' from the litter box so we could all dine together. I heard her lift the hood and knew what was coming.

ha. I was the only one who laughed. Seriously, was I supposed to tell her to spit it out on the dining room floor?

As far as the jumping on people thing goes, I think you need to learn to train the people first. Just tell them that you are trying to teach the dogs not to jump on people and it confuses them when people make them do it. No one will mind, I'm sure.

I was too young to train my dog (and my parents didn't want to). But we'll probably get a dog in the next couple of years, and I'll definitely train it. I think they like it.

But I do know a little about training. Patience and repetition are so important. Start out with basics over and over until they get it, then move up gradually until they understand the entire thing.

Break the behavior you want into really basic steps. Once they get past one step and do it repeatedly, don't give them a treat until they do the next step you're wanting (in order). They'll figure it out.

Try to see if what tricks they aren't picking up might be more complicated than you first thought.

People are the biggest problem when you're trying to train them not to jump on people. You're telling them not to and they are getting rewarded for NOT doing it, but then sometimes they get rewarded for jumping up on people too. It's confusing.

When they play before you let them, what they aren't learning is that they will be able to play if they wait. Do you just let them go when they start playing or do you start them back over from when they got it wrong? Having someone with you to unhook the other dog from it's leash would help too. But only because you'll be able to hook the other dog back up when it doesn't wait to play. You still need to re-create the time it'll take you to unhook each leash for when you're by yourself, even though you have someone else to help. It'll also help for you to be able to physically hold the dog back from playing at first.

Thanks for the tips Chelsea. I will slowing it down and do it step by step

Ha! I totally was thinking this was going to be a thread about having issues with pet photos! Probably because I recently had such an issue.

Mr. Xuli this year wanted to get professional photos of our family -- me, him, and the cat. We wanted some of those ultra-cheesy ones everyone has in their photo albums from the 80s -- those ones where your mom dressed up you and your sister in matching outfits and took you to Sears for. Only none of those places (Sears, Olan Mills, etc.) allow pets inside. We found a lot of wedding photographer types, but they all charge an arm and a leg. We wanted to do this for Xmas cards this year, but obviously missed the boat on that.

Anyone know a good, affordable place to get cheesy pet-friendly family photos?

ha! sorry about the hijack, but that was going to be our holiday card this year too, xuli. cheesy matching sweaters and all! we too dropped the ball, but are hoping to do it next year instead. the beauty is that you don't need a professional photographer if you've got photoshop. we just chose a snowy forest background and superimposed the photo of us over it.

Re: pet photos and issues

Oh, Nucular, I hope you realize the trauma you've just inflicted on my poor kitty! I've now upped the ante for these pictures, when we get them taken ... I want us all (including Aslan) in matching sweaters!

And now to keep this from being a total hijack ...

Quote Originally Posted by zbann
    I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss the joys and tribulations of being a doggy (or kitty or guinea pig or whatever) mom.
    This post would get way too long if I really went into it. But I've been thinking lots and lots lately about the intricacies of relationships between people and animals, and how I love my cat in a way that is totally different from the way I love people, and yet what a central and important part of my life he is.

I worry sometimes that he's not well-disciplined. He's super friendly, loves humans, so whenever guests come over we have to put him in the bedroom if they aren't cat people -- otherwise he's all over them purring and demanding love and affection. Cat people adore him; people who don't really like cats find him pretty intolerable. Ah well. I love him dearly and feel so lucky to have met a cat with his very unique personality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads