View Poll Results: Do you have a house cleaner?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - LOVE it

10 26.32%
  • no - waste of money

7 18.42%
  • no - never thought of it

7 18.42%
  • yes - hate it

1 2.63%
  • no - you people are nuts - clean your own house!

13 34.21%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My house cleaner is self employed (has a business license, etc). I have a friend who uses her about once every five weeks or so; I am a once every 3 weeks; the person who referred her, I think is a once a week - or once every two weeks maybe.

I wouldn't use a service either and I spent about a year searching.
    I asked lots of friends and coworkers what they did for house keeping, who they used, bad experiences, good experiences, how much they paid... it definitely took a bit of work and research... some people are willing to share, others will tell you nothing and still others will tell you everything but their housecleaners phone number (territorial); in the end it was totally worth it.

One thing I was told in my search was to look in the want ads in your area for openings for house keepers to find the going rate. Consider the fact that you don’t have to pay for cleaning supplies… (outside of Clorox wipes and Woolite oxy deep if you have carpets…)

2. # ADS

I don't have a house cleaner, but you're poll didn't have no-- I clean my house because it's not in the budget.

I don't think it's a waste. My grandmother has someone to help her around the house and some of my friends who work long hours have someone who cleans for them. They all love it.

I know my grandmother does not use a service either--that the woman that she hires is self-employed. My uncle referred her to my grandmother and my uncle hired her for a couple move out cleaning for an apartment building he owns.

I wish- since i've been ill it's been something I would love to be able to afford. I vow that along with paying someone to paint rooms, paying someone to clean would be two things I will find money for once I get back to work.
    well...that's the theory anyway!

Have one? I am one! I clean two different houses, every two weeks. (I have another part time job as well.) I work independantly, making cash money tax free. I don't think either of the ladies I work for as snobs. One is a nurse, and works many hours a week, as well as has other obligations and is a neat freak. I can't imagine the stress she would put on herself to clean her house completely too. The other lady is not a very neat person by nature, she's a busy volunteering mother that crafts and is getting a PHD in children's folklore. The thing is, they appreciate me and treat me like a person doing them a favor or service. I did work for one lady that treated me like the "help" and I hated it.

As far as rates and who supplies the cleaning supplies, etc. it changes from person to person. My "employers" actually do provide the cleaning supplies, but it was their choice.

Trust me, I'd seriously love to have one! But would go independent, vs. the agency.

I found a really nice lady who does a good job, and I had her come round every few months last year. This coming Friday, I'm pleased to say, she will start coming every 2 weeks! Woohoo!

My husband and I both work full-time and are raising 2 children. I'm exhausted by the time the girls go to bed and all I want to do is relax. By the time the weekend rolls around, I resent having to spend quality family time cleaning.

I am so much happier when the house is clean - and it inspires me to keep it a lot tidier day in/day out. For me, it's money spent on something that truly adds quality to my life.

(I would never go through an agency/service. I did once and felt it was such a waste. I knew the money wasn't all going to the women doing the cleaning, and as a result they didn't care very much.)

I picked "no-waste of money", because I live in a two-bedroom apartment, my girls do their own cleaning, and I really can't afford to have someone come in and clean. Besides, weird as this sounds, I actually like to clean. Another plus of apartment living--I can clean the whole place right down to the ground in two hours or less.

I need another no option.

No - just not currently in the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    Ditto. I'd really love to, and probably will someday if/when I can afford it, but reading Nickel and Dimed really made me think a lot about what that would mean to me and how I would go about it. I would never, ever use a service.
    We are actually just about to try to hire someone. Both of us work more-than full time, plus go to university part time (Special Boy just started this semester! I'm so excited!) and now we're starting renovations, so we really just don't have the time. Plus, I'm usually the one who ends up doing it out of dire frustration, and then it makes me hate the Boy for a day or two, and that's not helpful for either one of us. We don't want to live in a pigsty, but neither of us has the time to clean ...

I haven't read Nickel and Dimed, but the synopsis I found online pretty much sums up how I feel about, well, paying any big coroporate person anything when, really, what I want is the service underneath. Most of you who have been here for a while know that as a general rule, the Special Boy and try our best to never shop at big-box stores, or eat at chain restaurants. We usually shop at smaller, family run or at least locally-run businesses within walking distance of our home, whenever we can. (e.g. we are having a local carpenter make plain cupboards for our kitchen instead of buying the made-in-china ones at ikea).

So, I am trying to find someone whom I can pay directly for the cleaning, as opposed to calling a service (and the Boy and I have agreed on $12/hour, $15 if they supply the cleaning supplies, which I think is a reasonable wage - esp. since it will only be aboout 3 hours work once every two weeks....) but do you know how hard it is? I can't find anyone! And it's a weird thing to inquire about, ya know?

So, if you're in Montreal and you want to make $36 cash every two weeks, pm me and you might have a job! It would help if you liked cats and did not have a kitty allergy. (and if others think the wage I am offering is ridiculous / unreasonable, please tell me!!!)

yes, i'd be on the "no, but I would love to" option too. like someone else mentioned, I never really learned to clean properly, so I feel like I don't really do a good job. my sweetie is very helpful around the house (vacuums etc), but I end up with all the icky jobs like scrubbing the tup and mopping the kitchen floor, which I hate to confess I generally put off for so long it is on the edge of gross. boy I'd like to just have someone else skilled come in and do their thing once a month!

unfortunately my sweetie is very against it, even though we have a referal to a wonderful woman who works for many of his work colleagues (not part of an agency). i am not really sure what his issue is, I think it may be the "waste of money" thing, so I guess he's happy with my half-assed cleaning!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads