View Poll Results: Do you have a house cleaner?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - LOVE it

10 26.32%
  • no - waste of money

7 18.42%
  • no - never thought of it

7 18.42%
  • yes - hate it

1 2.63%
  • no - you people are nuts - clean your own house!

13 34.21%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    No-but would LOVE it!!

And also used to be one. I live in a kind of depressed area and only made $8 an hour. Thalt's why Im now back to my full-time retail hell!!

2. # ADS

The two households I know that hire housecleaners don't use agencies either. It's funny because my in-laws keep a really clean house anyway and knowing the cleaning person is coming makes them tidy up!

I would have voted " No but I wish I could say yes!" :)

i said "no - waste of money." but that's only because there wasn't a "no - i have no money!" option.

if i had a disposable income i'd have someone come once every week or two.

I used to think that only snobs would hire a cleaner. But, in some ways it is highly practical if you have the resources to do it.

A few summers ago i house-sat for my professor and she had a cleaner come in once a week. We had to keep her for the summer, even though we could have done it all and were willing to, because if not she would have given that slot to another family. It was wierd - we had to leave $50 cash on the counter and be gone for four hours every Wednesday morning - she did not want anyone in the house while she was there. But, we never had any problems. Still, its not something I could see myself doing anytime in the near future, for money and my own stubbornness. The prof whose house i was at said that at first she thought it was snobby, but after so many fights over cleaning in their house, she decided that it was worth it to save the marriage.

The only concern i would see is really with the children. Her daughter - who was an amazing, kind child - said about something, basically "I can leave it on the floor - the cleaning lady will get it." noooooo! it reeked of white privledge - ick.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    my in-laws keep a really clean house anyway and knowing the cleaning person is coming makes them tidy up!
    this is actually the exact reason I started getting a cleaning lady and hosting Craft Night, if I know for sure people are coming over I tidy more, if I know I don't have to do the dirty work, picking up is sooooo nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by rissaroo
    The only concern i would see is really with the children. Her daughter - who was an amazing, kind child - said about something, basically "I can leave it on the floor - the cleaning lady will get it." noooooo! it reeked of white privledge - ick.
    We don't have kids, but that worries me - that is why he/she woudl only come once every two weeks to do the base stuff (like washing floors, etc). AND I would never have a cleaning person tidy my bedroom (or my children's bedroom).

And yes, the hope is that if I know someone else will wash the floors, washing the counters every other day won't feel so demanding. :)

For us, it's a waste of money right now. Trying to have a kid and paying for a new car plus a billion dollar hospital bill, I can make myself clean my own house.

It would be nice once we have children to have someone deep clean every couple weeks, because either crafting or cleaning has to go once a child comes in. (Yeah, I know both will probably go, but I'm still in denial).

I don't think I've ever known anyone who had someone clean their house. Except my mom's boss, but he's a rich lawyer w/ his own practice. So maybe that's why my first impression is that it's only for rich people (although I know it isn't).

There's FlyLady.net online, who does a great job establishing organization and cleaning routines in your everyday life. I try to FLY as much as I can, and the house, although not the absolute cleanest, is much better than it could be, and my family helps out more just because they see me do it and appreciate the results.

A past comment on how someone didn't know how to housekeep well makes me wonder how well I'm training my daughter and son to keep house. I'm not very good at it, and I wonder if I am hurting their futures. My mother was a superb housekeeper but I don't think I trained well off of her, either.

As a few recent posters have said, I make sure I tidy up before Betty comes. And to me, that IS an incentive right there. And the kids - they also know that their bedroom, playroom, and bathroom must be tidied or else I'll tell Betty not to bother going upstairs.

And whoever said it - I too have invited people over just to force myself to clean and tidy the place. And I've made the leap to Betty to increase marital harmony as well!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads