View Poll Results: Do you have a house cleaner?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - LOVE it

10 26.32%
  • no - waste of money

7 18.42%
  • no - never thought of it

7 18.42%
  • yes - hate it

1 2.63%
  • no - you people are nuts - clean your own house!

13 34.21%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

house cleaner = snob?

I have someone who I pay to come clean my house and I love it.
    I find a clean house theraputic but not actually cleaning... plus the smell of bleach gives me the most terrible headache; besides I can always come up with a craft that needs attention instead of scrubbing.
    So I asked around and found this woman who was highly recommended by a co-worker. I LOVE it.
    Granted it gets comments and eyerolls when I excidedly announce to friends that my house is getting clean and I am not even home. (she's not nearly as spendy as I would have thought)...

Anyway - anyone else out there have their houses cleaned - love or hate thier cleaner?

(if you are in the greater Seattle area and you need a house cleaner let me know and I'll give you the hook up.)

~Q

2. # ADS

missed an option - "no - would love to!" ;)

My mother and father in-law have someone come once a month - I would love something like that.

I'm seriously considering it. Because of my health problems, I have trouble doing it myself, and at the moment my roommate is doing way more than her share of the work. I'd feel less guilty if I were paying someone to do it rather than just expecting my roommie to make accomodations for me.

I used to have maid service come twice a month. I moved and now we don't have a service. I MISS IT!

i wish!

It was an eye opener to this NE girl that nearly every middle class woman and family in Los Angeles I met has a housecleaner come either weekly or biweekly. Lots of single men, too. We had one every other week for years until we let her go for financial reasons. I do most of the routine cleaning now myself, and my husband and teenager do the deep cleaning about once every six weeks.

I would LOVE to have someone come and clean every week or two weeks. We have cramped and cluttered, however, and are in the beginning stages of getting our garage converted into a "granny suite" as a bedroom for the teenager and family room/office, which will allow us to spread out a bit and leave room for someone to clean. As soon as we get the rooms built and I get out of school and into a better job we're getting a housecleaner!

In an ideal world, someone could come here every two months and do a good deep clean - I never really learned how to clean, and the halfassedness tends to pile up.

But I wouldn't know where to find someone working on their own, especially for something so infrequent. After reading Nickel and Dimed, I wouldn't want to use a service either.

I would have voted for a "No, but would love one" option too.

I don't mind cleaning and the results are enough to motivate me to do it myself but I'd love to not have to think about it or make the effort. But at the moment I can't justify spending money on a cleaner.

My dream would be to win a year long cleaning service in a competition, the same way you can win groceries for a year etc.

check out "Other People's Dirt", i can't remember who it's by. the author is a housekeeper, and she gives good tips on hiring a housekeeper and maintaining a good relationship with him or her. she also gives a good argument against using a maid service. you may be paying $25 an hour, but the actual workers might get paid minimum wage.

i've never had a housekeeper, but my sister cleans people's houses, and since she doesn't work for anyone, it's a good gig. i can barely deal with my roommate's hair in the drain, though, so i can't imagine dealing with some random stranger's bodily secretions.

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    But I wouldn't know where to find someone working on their own, especially for something so infrequent. After reading Nickel and Dimed, I wouldn't want to use a service either.
    Ditto. I'd really love to, and probably will someday if/when I can afford it, but reading Nickel and Dimed really made me think a lot about what that would mean to me and how I would go about it. I would never, ever use a service.

I picked "never thought about it" because it seemed like the closest option. But the truth is, I've thought about it a lot and I'm really conflicted about it -- both about how I'd go about it and about what it says about me/my culture that at some point I'll probably do it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads