The Grocery Game?

Has anyone signed up for the trial and/or is a user? Or use a similar service/site?

http://www.thegrocerygame.com/

I'm not a coupon clipper because even with coupons I can get cheaper store brand products and produce doesn't tend to have coupons.

Quotes like the one below make me realize as an apartment dweller, I have a smaller fridge/freezer and can't get another.

I bought $354.00 worth of groceries and only paid $107.00. The savings was enough for my husband and I to go to Sears and buy an extra freezer for our garage to store all of the surplus groceries.
    Thanks in advance for your input!

2. # ADS

I looked into it just recently, as there was an article in my local paper about them. I do clip coupons, because if there is something I would theoritically buy anyway it's great to wait until it's on sale and then use the coupon too! Personally, the grocery game wouldn't work for me. Not only am I an apartment dweller as well but it seemed like too much work and waiting (and paying for this waiting) before there would be any real reward. Also, these lists do have great deals, sure, but you are buying 20-30 dollars of things you are "stockpiling". As someone on a strict grocery budget I just can't do that. I don't see the point in buying something that's cheap if I wouldn't be eating it anytime soon, ya know?

I've a friend who just started using TGG; I'll point her in this direction and post her experiences. :)

Happyhats, udandi and any other interested parties, here's my friend's experience with TGG; as she notes, please contact me if you want more info:

I know it seems like TGG is not for apartment dwellers, but my husband and I live in ~700sqft, and we do TGG. You wonít get the fanaticism from me that youíll see on the site or on the message boards associated with the site, but I can say itís been very good to my husband and I, and if we were more disciplined, itíd be amazingly good.

Weíve saved about 51% on our groceries, using TGG. Itís actually a little lower, due to the fact that there have been a few things weíve run out to get at our ďnon-listĒ store, and my husband didnít keep those receipts, so Iím not sure our exact expenditures on groceries since weíve started. He now knows to keep those receipts too, so I can better gauge our spending patterns.

Weíve been at this "game" 3 weeks, and weíve spent $159.91 at the list stores, so weíve a weekly grocery expenditure of ~$53. ($54.50 with the Sunday paper, and once we go to a full membership, $56.) Obviously a little more, due to our ďbadĒ habits. We ďshould haveĒ spent $328.56 in this time.

Our weekly number is also a bit inflated by the fact that I make the lists, but my husband does the shopping, so thereís a confusion rate. For example, last week some light bulbs were on sale. We have odd light fixtures, and several burned out bulbs. I told him to get bulbs to replace the burned out ones, if they had them. I wasnít sure they would have these odd bulbs. If they didnít have our odd bulbs, AND the compact fluorescents were part of the sale to get those instead for our more normal light fixtures that will burn out eventually. He didnít understand that the compact fluorescents were only to be purchased if they were on sale, so got one anyway. At full, grocery store price. Iím sure I could have gotten it for less from Home Depot or some place like that, but such is life. If I were doing the shopping, Iíd know when to say, ďNo, this is on my list, but I donít want it due to X, Y or ZĒ. X, Y and Z are usually that the list maker says somethingís on sale, but itís not actually on sale at my store. Heís getting better, and now that we have set grocery days, Iím usually available by phone to minimize these issues.

Produce is tricky, but itís more about you than the list. Are you willing to mostly eat whatís in season? Thatís whatís going to be on sale, most of the time. This is a benefit, as this is the freshest produce anyway. My husband and I have eaten a lot of broccoli, but we love it so itís not an issue. Iíve also eaten a large number of oranges (yum!).

In all honesty, my eating habits have improved drastically since starting TGG. I *know* we have food at the house; Iíve spent the money already, and damned if Iím not going to eat it. I still buy a bagel at school every day, but I bring my lunches now, and we eat out a lot less. I guess thatís also money saved, as weíre eating in so much more. However, this shouldnít go into your calculations unless you eat out a lot as well.

Back to the apartment issue, now. There are apartment sized freezers, though I had no more clue about them than others do, I have to admit. My great-grandmother moved in with my parents just before my husband and I married, and she gave us her freezer for helping her move. Its outside dimensions are 23.5Ē x 21.5Ē x 45Ē (depth x width x height). Itís wonderful, and I understand it cost ~$350 new. Itís probably not in your current budget, but it may be some thing worth looking into. Itís a Kenmore, if you care. We also have the built in freezer to our fridge, which has outside dimensions of 30Ē x 29Ē x 24Ē. Between these two, weíve managed to save a lot of cheese (my husbandís a dairy addict), and bread and so forth.

Finally, donít forget that TGG isnít just about food. Weíve ďstockpiledĒ a few toothbrushes and TP and paper towels too. These wonít go bad, so you donít have to worry about getting them now and using them later.

Wow, this is a rambling, long post! Iím almost done. Artgeek at one point asked if we were buying things we didnít really use before (or need), as that would also change the calculations. The answer is; sort of. Iíve purchased several things that I probably wouldnít have been willing to try at full price (and so far, liked them all, which is lucky), and Iíve purchased a few things that will be more community than Iíd normally get. For example, Artgeek will be quite surprised to learn that itís been worth it for us to buy the soda for all our hanging out for a short while. Weíll let Artgeek, her husband and our other friends cover the pizza the next couple of times (or, they can try to bribe me to make rellenos, but Iím not a cheap date, particularly when Iím cooking! ;)). Iíve also chosen not to use coupons for things I would normally buy, because itís made me aware of my eating habits. I ate two tubes of Pringles and a whole bag of Layís potato chips by myself over the course of two weeks. Not going to do that again, so we skipped the Pringles sale, and weíll skip the next potato chip sale as well (also, weíll donate the other two bags of chips to the same community weíre donating the soda to).

Okay, thatís it. If you have any other questions, Iíd be more than happy to answer them. You can send them via Artgeek, or something. If you do decide to try TGG based on what I wrote, please contact Artgeek and let her know, as I can receive free GG time for referring people. If you have a friend who GGs, please give them the referral.

Thanks and good luck!

thanks artgeek for your friend's experience!.

My sister posted to my blog entry since she was the one who told me about it. Then I found another blogger who posted about it and she replied, as well.

Remove Ads

Ads