Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Read--how I love the library!
    Work on word-search puzzles
    Buy an iced mocha at the Coffee Plantation, sip and people-watch
    Do cross-stitch (I always have cross-stitch supplies on hand)
    Make duct tape handbags
    Watch DVD's from my small but excellent collection--and if I get bored with those, I have two daughters working at video rental places!
    Bake--not only do I find it soothing, but I also get cheap goodies.

2. # ADS

-Go to the flea market and just look around.
    -go to the library.
    -Read old magazines and cut out ideas that inspire me or I want to try for my idea books.
    -watch one of our many movies.
    -go to Forest Park (in St. Louis)- there is a zoo, Art Museum, History Museum, Science Center, tons of beautiful landscaping and more....all free!
    -Go to a cheap diner near us, eat a cheap breakfast and chat w/ the owners.
    -Work on homework (since I'm in grad school), which isn't going to be cheap once I have to start paying back my loans, but at least staying home to do that keeps me from going out and spending money!
    -Playing role playing games (or card games, board games, etc.) with friends.

-Come up with a project I can do at home, for cheap, and without having to go buy anything else (e.g. reorganizing the linen closet, hanging the bamboo shades we've had for 2 years and never put up,etc.)
    -cooking a wonderful dinner (fun and relaxing, and usually there's leftovers!)

I love watching movies. We used to have Netflix, which was great, but we're skipping a couple months because we ran out of stuff to rent! lol. Our local video rental place has 99 cent days. Also the library is great for that too.

I love going shopping and not buying anything. One thing I used to do when I was younger - before I was old enough to go anywhere that required a formal dress - I would go to a dept store and try on the formal dresses. It was so much fun.

I tend to stay with flea markets and garage sales if money's really tight, because I won't feel deprived when I can't buy ANYthing at an expensive store.

One thing I tend to do is keep buying new craft supplies before I've finished one project with the supplies I already have. So have a big crafty day with a project you've been meaning to finish - or create a new project out of cheap stuff from a garage sale or even what you already have.

I've always gotten a lot of puzzles for Christmas from my parents. I have a million of them. (Like 7 a year....lol.) So when I'm bored I'll call my sister in law or mom over to work on one. Or by myself.

I love board games too, but like in another post, nobody will play with me! I'm an only child, so I grew up playing games like Monopoly by myself (sad, huh) but it's really old now. Except a couple years ago we bought a Horror trivia game. Me and my husband played that for 4 hours I think. :)

Thank you guys for all of the great tips! I'm pretty good about entertaining myself when I am at home. I get into trouble when I go out with my friends - it is nice to have some things to suggest other than going out to dinner and drinks.

scarletgenesis, I just wanted to say that I grew up in Missouri near St. Louis, and I miss Forest Park so much...ahh, memories.

My spouse was laid off a few years ago and I don't work due to being chronically ill, so money was really tight.

We watched a lot of DVDs, from our own collection, borrowed from friends, and occasionally we would get Blockbuster coupons. Now I know that the library carries many DVDs I'd like to see, so I'm going to borrow them from the library instead because we are penny pinching now to save for a house.

We also watched a lot of science fiction shows on the satellite and on DVD.

Once in a while, we would go to a cheap place for dinner.

I went to the library a lot and the used bookstore has a quarter book shelf, so I bought some cheap books.

We went for a lot of bike rides and walks.

I taped yoga shows from TV and did yoga every day, which was fun, I lost weight, and it helped me deal with the stress of having no money.

And I played the Sims a lot.

hurray scategories! i love that game

i roleplay, which i know, is dorky, but it's so fun once you get into it. but it does have the prospect of getting pricey, but all you really need is a core book, some dice, and four or five friends!

and i love having game nights with all our friends, board games, card games, twister!

and i go to the animal shelter, but its REALLY hard to not get a kitten. or a dog. or a turtle. and sometimes i feel super sad leaving.

for a po' folks shopping craving i highly recommend the following:

take 5.00 or 10.00 go to the flea market or multiple thrift stores..

and see how far you can make it go.. Can you use it and some stuff lying around cluttering up the house to make something you would be proud to give as a gift or better yet something you can't bear to ever part with in a zillion years?

some towns have a "shop" at the dump of all places where you can score amazing cool wierd stuff that may ony need a good scrub up with a hefty disinfectantant.. and perhaps decopauge or spray paint...

You could find a crafty opponent and make a game of it.

I love going to art openings at galleries. Often they serve snacks and wine. I will dressup nice and go for the art and socializing. The free snacks are a fun bonus to the extreemly poor mooches like myself.

Tomico

being from portland originally, i always read the chuck pahlanuk (or however you spell his name) book called refugees and rejects.. tells all the crazy things to do in portland.

i'd go to the roxy at 2 am for some cheap-ass fries ad to watch the dragqueens comming in from their shows at the nearby clubs with my equally poor roomates.

go for a walk downtown and people watch and check out the cool stores youd never really notice unless you had nothing better to do.

now that i live in tacoma... i haven't found too much to do. but i have discovered gardening is my best friend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads