Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new baby niece - what do i bring???

my sister just gave birth to my niece yesturday - the first baby in our family in a long time!

my question is - i'm going to my sister's this weekend to meet my niece and help a bit - and would like to bring some things to make life easier (groceries, baby stuff, personal care stuff...). i'm going to call sis to see if she wants anthing specific - but i'd also like to bring some surprises.

i'd appreciate any feedback people may have about what they wished someone would bring them a week after the birth of there 1st child!

2. # ADS

What a great question! When we had our baby, we adored the folks who brought us food, either homemade or takeout. Also, my brother-in-law went to the grocery store for us and bought all kinds of goodies, including pretty new ponytail holders for me (odd and random, but sweet). A friend of ours brought us a yummy homemade middle eastern meal (her husband is Iraqi) and her little girls made us homemade butter and little bits and bobs of artwork. So touching. I also loved it when people would just come over to hold the baby while I ate, showered, or slept. Seems so basic, but so much appreciated!

I would have appreciated some help with the housework. Everyone wanted to hold the baby "for" me so I could load the dishwasher and do the laundry but it would have been more helpful for them to have cleaned!

Other than that, food is great. If you will be there for a few days, I suggest making some to freeze.

Hmmm.... don't expect them to throw a party for you. Silly as it sounds, when I came home with my daughter after a 4 day-hospital stay and a heavy labor/c-section, my husband's relatives were rather offended that I wanted to stay in bed and rest rather than wait on them!

Don't wait to be asked to do things, just use your eyes and do them. Clean the kitchen, do the laundry, vacuum, make the beds, get take-out or cook simple meals WITHOUT being asked. (If you do the housework, ask where things go so she doesn't have to contend later with a wailing baby while looking for the disappeared dustbroom, and so on.) Check on baby supplies, like diapers, wipes, bottles and formula if that's what they're doing, and then go restock them. Walk the baby so mama can have a shower or a nap. Bring her a glass of water while she's nursing, and make sure to put it in reach. (My MIL always put stuff just out of my reach for some reason.)

Know that the baby's schedule is what rules the house right now, not the adults' schedules, so try to time meals so that they are served while the baby sleeps. This was a big one for me. My mother and MIL would start making meals when my baby fell asleep, and when they were ready to serve, it was a given the baby would wake up. I remember being incredibly, constantly hungry those first coupla weeks, and only eating cold, coagulated food when I was able to eat at all.

Also know that two hours is MUCH shorter with a newborn around than they were before the baby was born.

i loved receiving a basket of snacks to keep next to me so that i didn't have to get up or ask anyone every time i needed a little something to eat. meals, teas, and juices were also appreciated. magazines and books were nice to tune out with while breastfeeding and resting. maybe some lotion for a foot massage, too.

Congratulations on your neice! You're being so thoughtful and I'm sure your sister will appreciate all your help even if she might be too tired and zoned out to express it.

Someone brought us over a huge batch of homemade granola and it was perfect for grabbing a healthy snack the first couple of weeks.

Also I agree that making something to freeze is helpful as well as just jumping in and doing the chores that need to be done.

Maybe you could also take a few photos of the new family and then when you get home make a little album to send since your sister probably is too tired to do that kind of thing for herself these days.

Also any gift just for her, a book on cd to listen to while she feeds, special lotion, a stash of candy bars in a nice bag to "break into in case of emergency". Something like that will be much appreciated. You're going to be busy!

Wishing I had a sister!

I remember that I always seemed to get hungry right before my sons were ready to nurse, so it was always nice to have a quick healthy snack that I could munch on while they were all nestled in my arms.
    Fruit, applesauce, yogurt, tuna on crackers, string cheese, etc.
    And a cloth diaper or old towel to drape over your niece so she doesn't have an earful of crumbs! LOL.
    I would have loved pre-made meals,but for some reason, no one ever gave me any!
    But my parents were always available when I was desperate for house cleaning help.
    That's all I got. Everyone else has great ideas!
    Congrats Auntie!! Enjoy your time with your sis and niece!

brightsun, that must have been during the snowstorm!!

I agree with other posters in pre made meals--friends of ours did that with our first and it's a Godsend. Also helping with chores (as I had a c-section) my aunt came over and did laundry, etc. That definitely helps.

Congratulations!

thank you very much ladies!

i'm definitely going to bring sis some food she can heat up.

and chocolate - one of her absolute favorites!

brightsun, that must have been during the snowstorm!!
    YUP and the full moon.... My kind of kid from the very start! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads