Very hard water..

I know that the #1 solution to this would be to purchase a water softener but since we don't have $3000 laying around I don't think it'll work for me.
    I think the water situation here is getting worse. Everything I have that water runs through ends up either broken, not working properly, or just discusting. I won't drink it, that's for sure. I put vinegar through the coffee maker once a week, but it still is grossing me out. My table water fountain is all caked with chalky residue and isn't squirting anymore. I use twice as much laundry detergent just to see some suds in the machine. And the bathroom, well, it's just really bad.
    So I'm just wondering if anyone has any good tips for dealing with hard water. I've tried CRL, I've tried Lime away. My biggest problem right now is the bathroom sink clogging. When I did a little investigation on why, I found that the pipes are filled with this green sludge along with the normal white stalagmites and tites (ha ha) from the calcium. Any solutions on what I can flush down there to get rid of some of it? I used drain product and it didn't work.

2. # ADS

i use filtered water in my coffee maker and to drink. we have one of those "Pur" deals that screws onto the faucet. the water where i live is very hard, so i understand the chalky residue woes. all i can say is to use bottled water or filtered water for anything that tends to get buildup, like your iron, fountain, etc.

as for the pipes... have you taken the trap out and cleaned it? you might just have a nasty plug of hair and goo, and drain cleaner doesn't work very well on those. you could have someone snake out the pipes, or i think you can rent the roto-rooter snake deals and try to do it yourself.

We have a similar problem in Madison Wisconsin. Apparently, not only is it hard water, but there is too much manganese, which turns out white clothing yellow in the laundry and causes birth defects. In the meantime, I use a lot of vinegar and powdered water softener. Really, there is nothing you can do though and you might want to at least consider complaining to the city because after enough complaints maybe they would do something?

This is a story on our water problems:
    http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/loca...=68340&ntpid=1

Our water is very, very hard as well. Of course, I can't STAND the taste of soft water, so I guess it's just as well. :-)

Do you have any companies like Rayne there?
    They install the equipment, and upkeep everything. I think my parents pay about 50 bucks a month and get our canister changed twice a week. Our water is really, really hard otherwise. It completely ruined two dishwashers, and a washing machine in the span of a few years because it just was that bad.

I realize that the softening is expensive at first, but it will also save your large appliances from being completely ruined by all the mineral buildup. It eventually eats away at the metal inside, and will ruin them. Our washing machine basket correded completely off of the washer. I heard this horrible thumping in the garage, and called my mom because when I went out there, the whole washing machine was literally jumping up and down due to the washing bucket inside whacking against the lid with every spin.
    I dunno. Just figured I would share that.

Another thing is, soap doesn't have to suds up to work. They just make it suds up a lot because people want to see it bubbling. We've been trained to think that the bubbles clean our clothes more, but that isn't true. The soap is still in there, and cleaning your clothes up.

even if soap doesn't have to suds to work (which it doesn't), you still need more soap in hard water areas because a lot of the soap molecules get used up sequestering the ions that make water "hard". i usually use half of the recommended detergent in regular water areas, and the full amount here where we have hard water.

adding baking soda to hard water is supposed to soften it for washing. I think I read it in one of those home hint things.

I have well water here. I purchased a water softener at Lowes for around $500. I realize that may still be a lot but when you figure in the cost of replacing appliances or even clother for that matter, it's worth it.

I think I'm going to try the baking soda trick. I won't be able to start saving for anything else until:
    1. chimney and the roof is fixed
    2. car is paid off
    3. taxes are paid

Not in any particular order, but I need to worry about the chimney 1st. We took a quick fix for the winter, but it can't last through the next. I'm glad we have carbon monoxcide alarms!

Remove Ads

Ads