Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what your favorite vacuum?

Thought this would be the best place to find any advice.:) I'm looking into buying a new vacuum! My mom has always bought them for me as gifts in the past, this is my first time to purchase one myself. I am looking at small, bagless, uprights. We live in a small (500 sq. ft.) one bedroom apartment with our two cats. Most of our flooring is hardwood, linolium, and tile...we have one 4x6 rug.
    I was wondering if anyone has any one that is their favorite or ones to steer clear of. We really don't want to spend too much, around $40 or less if possible. Any advice would be much appreciated. I've been reading reviews on-line but wanted to hear thoughts from you crafties:)

2. # ADS

I love my bissell carpet cleaner. It's nonelectric, run it over the carpet or floor and it picks up just about everything. (Make sure to empty it and clean the brushes.) We have what you have, mostly floor and one small carpet. I bought it about 2 months ago for about 35 bucks at Smart & Final, our local restaurant and janitorial supply store.

For the rest of hard flooring I'd say invest in a Swiffer along with a decent broom and dustpan/brush combo.

had a eureka bagless upright with hose attachment & hepa filter that i liked a lot. came from costco so it had a bonus dustbuster thingie that i never really used, too.

and then i would suck up some cotton balls with essential oils on them so the hot air coming out would smell just lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    and then i would suck up some cotton balls with essential oils on them so the hot air coming out would smell just lovely.
    That's a really good idea.

So far the best vacuum I've ever used was a Miele. But it was not upright, it used a bag, and it probably cost well over $40.

ti
    how about people with allergies? what vacuum would you use? or what vacuum seems to work well in general?

Great question ti - I'm also interested in which vacuum works well for people/familes with dust allergies. And what they cost as well.

I'm not sure you can get a hyperallergetic vacuum for under $100. That filter is very very important, and it doesn't come cheap.

Oreck!
    They're hypoallergenic, but a little on the pricey side, but you get some cool freebies with 'em & their warranties are excellent. If you've got a store nearby, I'd highly recommend stopping in. Don't let them pressure you into their credit program though...

Well, crud!!! I have been doing research and found the Dirtdevil Dynamite. It has a hepa filter and is small and was priced right at $40 at Walmart. I went out and got it today, brought it home, plugged it in and ran it around the apartment. Man the thing sucked so great, I really couldn't believe how much stuff it picked up. Now here is the crappy part...I decided to run it over the area rug one more time and the thing started smelling hot and the brush had stopped moving!!!! The area rug is a thin jute type rug, not like it high pile or anything!
    Crud, crud, crap!!!! Now I have to decide if I'm gonna exchange it for another one or pick something else out. Darn... I was having a good day!

O.K. so my husband went with me last night to help me decide. I ended up returning the dirt devil. We then went over to Target and got the Eureka Optima up right with the hose. It has a filter, even if it's not a hepa, I've had a vac that was bagless w/o a filter and I can really tell the difference. So far I am really pleased w/ the Eurekas performance. It has switches to turn of the brush of hard floors. To use the hose all you have to do is flip another switch, no turning off the machine to hook in the hose to the machine.
    Alrighty back to my bindge vacuuming and cleaning...:)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads