Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

moms, would you buy these?

Hi everyone, I've been a stay-home pregnant lady for the past five months due to no employment in my field (boo), and now it looks like I'll be a stay-home mom once our baby hatches in April. So, in the interest of staying crafty and maybe generating a little bit of income, I am going to try an Etsy shop. But first I want to know if anybody would even want what I'm thinking of selling!

I want to make roll-up portable changing pads, sized to fit those flip-down changing tables that are in public restrooms. They could also be used on the floor or a couch or anywhere else, and they'll be machine-washable. Some will be made with recycled materials.

I am also going to make bibs!

Here are some pictures of a finished roll-up pad:

I'm thinking of a price between $20-$30 depending on how much of the materials are new vs. recycled, and also depending on what cut of the sale I will have to give to Etsy.

Also, would you give one of these as a gift?

Thanks in advance...
    Heidi

2. # ADS

It depends on how well it fits in my diaper bag. I have a plastic one now that's getting too small for the baby and it's nowhere near the size of a changing table. However, your changing pad looks too big to fit in my bag, so I wouldn't purchase it. Can you move the ties so it can be folded in half before rolling? I would be more interested in it, then. I also like that it's machine washable.

I'm past the diapers stage, but I agree with sjkmaurice; they're lovely and the right size, but if they don't fit in the diaper bag I wouldn't purchase them. Also, is there a waterproof layer in there somewhere?

I would definitely give one of these as a gift, especially if the fabric you use is as lovely as the fabric on your prototype, but I don't think I'd buy one for $30; my limit would be in the lower $20s range.

Here's another idea for you: My mother made what she called "Oops" pads, which were coverings for the shoulders of adults carrying spitting babies. The pads were patterned terrycloth on one side and white terrycloth on the other, and shaped somewhat like hourglasses. They were longer than a typical diaper and more narrow to fit on a shoulder. I used one for my babies, and gave many away to new moms. (Sorry, no pics; I gave away my last pad a few months ago.)

It's lovely, but yeah - if it's meant to be taken out in public, it needs to be smaller.

(Either you want to protect your child out in public and need something portable --- or you want to protect your furniture at home and need something water-repellant.)

Here are two other ideas:

One thing I had from the time I lived in London until recently (I bought it there when the first one came along) and couldn't have lived without it. I have never used a changing table and always just used the bed or sofa or floor. This roll-up changing pad is similar to yours - except it's terry on one side and plastic on the other. It rolled up and tied. It was a little bigger than a hand towel or smaller than a small motel towel. It had some batting between the two layers and was only trimmed with basting tape. (Are those the correct terms?)

The other thing would be one of those things that you could roll up - or fold up - a small box of wipes and a couple of disposable diapers in. If you could come up with a changing pad that had a pocket for both those items somehow.....then any bag can become a diaper bag. I have similar things done in nylon or whatever....that sort of form a tee. Unroll the mat and flip out a pocket either side.

Both these things would make a nice gift, I think. And I think that $20-$25 is a good price point.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

What if you could fold it in half length-wise, and then roll it up and tie it? Then the width wouldn't be a problem fitting into diaper (or other) bags?
    I'd use one!!! I always hated that the pad that came with my diaper bag was too short for those public changing tables, so I think this is a great idea! I'm so glad I'm out of that stage, though. Both my boys were absolutely freaked out by those restroom changing tables!! I'm sure bright overhead flourescent lighting didn't help either. How about a pop-up baby eye sheild?! :D

Both my boys were absolutely freaked out by those restroom changing tables!!
    But wasn't it nice to have them? I have nightmares thinking about the bathroom floors I used to change my wee one on. Particularly in the pubs.... (Kidding - that was only once or twice!)

I second the $20-25, fold in half and then roll up, AND yes I would buy them.

I don't have any kids yet, so I have no idea what's out there except that we sell changing pads at my work (I wouldn't want to buy disposable) and our changing table in the bathroom is always out of the covers (if they even exist...)

I never thought about before they had those...I wonder how my mom changed me....

I have to agree with everyone. I love the changing pad I have. It folds into quarters with a velco tab on one end to hold it in place. I like that it is flat to fit into a pocket. It also has a small handle to pull it out of the pocket. It is made of a soft plastic (lightly padded) and a plastic-y /microfiber on the outside. I like that I can wipe it down easily, especially when I use it on a public changing table.

And yes, the changing stations are a godsend. I was at a coffee shop and had to change my son on the floor of the bathroom. Thank goodness that bathroom was really clean. He was on the changing pad and I had to squat/kneel on the public floor.

m.

btw- I think yours are much prettier than what i have, and you did beautiful work, but with babies, function comes first. Could you cover them with an iron on vinyl?

Okay, I'm not a mom - so take this with a grain of salt, but...

Could we expand your hypothetical business to include diaper bags? Taking the practical suggestions of the moms on this board and incorporating your great sense of style. Most of the diaper bags sold commerically are so nauseatingly cutesy.

Then your changing pads could be a more affordable item, but shoppers may splurge for the matching bag where you could have a slightly bigger markup.

I've thought of that, craftfetish. It probably would be easier to sell sets.

At the moment, in the interest of producing something I know I can manage with a newborn around (or at least, I think I can), and still be able to sort of be paid a reasonable amount for my time*, I'm thinking of sticking with the changing pads and bibs only. I've made a lot of bags and I think if I were to add that on, I'd be really close to not even breaking even. I guess that's where the Alchemy feature comes in (where you can request a product and sellers bid to make them).

*As it is, with supplies (even recycled ones) and the percentage that goes to Etsy, I'll still be paying myself less than $4 an hour to make these...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far, I really appreciate them!!

Heidi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads