+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Urban Gardening/Rooftop Gardening

I'm about to go guerilla gardner on the 7th floor of our parking garage, does anyone else have any experience with this? I'm finding a lot of information on rooftop gardening as far as residential roofing surfaces, but what about concrete? How should I get started? I had planned to plant in ceramic planters, milk crates lined with burlap, and wooden produce boxes. Is there anything that I should watch out for, things that I should considder, etc?

2. # ADS

It gets hot up there. Plan for more heat to your plants than if they were planted in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_stroozi
    It gets hot up there. Plan for more heat to your plants than if they were planted in the ground.
    If that's the case, I would invest in some water savng crystals to add to your potting mix and I'd avoid planting in terracotta pots because they dry out really quickly.

Post some pictures once you've got it set up!

I came across this article today. It might have a few ideas which could apply to your situation.

I also suggest watching the heat--I have a concrete tile patio and it gets really hot in the afternoon.
    And consider the wind. In many cities; the wind tunnels through tall buildings so make sure the plants you choose are hardy for your zone and shelter the more delicate ones as best as you can.
    You need to be aware of the weight of what you are planting as well. I have had great luck with plastic containers (I have square ones that are the color of terracotta that have feet in the corners for drainage.) I know alot of people don't like the look--but they don't seem to dry out as much and they are lighter.
    Finally you need to be aware of where your water is draining and that you are not creating standing puddles.
    Good luck!

You would probably do really well with potted tropical trees like hibiscus and palms since it will be so hot up there and then you could bring them inside during the winter and enjoy them next to a window.

Quote Originally Posted by zbann View Post
    I also suggest watching the heat--I have a concrete tile patio and it gets really hot in the afternoon.
    And consider the wind. In many cities; the wind tunnels through tall buildings so make sure the plants you choose are hardy for your zone and shelter the more delicate ones as best as you can.
    You need to be aware of the weight of what you are planting as well. I have had great luck with plastic containers (I have square ones that are the color of terracotta that have feet in the corners for drainage.) I know alot of people don't like the look--but they don't seem to dry out as much and they are lighter.
    Finally you need to be aware of where your water is draining and that you are not creating standing puddles.
    Good luck!
    Nice idea, thanks for sharing!!
    samson smith
    Wind Chimes
    samson[dot]smith009[at]gmail[dot]com

Tropical definitely sounds awesome for a roof top garden

I am in Oklahoma and garden a lot. The biggest problem seems to be the heat. Is there anyway you can shade your plants at least part of the day. You could always do the heat loving plants like peppers. I am really hoping to have better weather this year and good luck to you.

I have a friend in guatamala. She built a canopy out of flour sacks to shade her lettuce from the sun and it worked quite well, as long as she watered them right they grew quite well shaded from the afternoon sun, even with the heat.

Ads