Hiring someone to clean my house.....revisited...

So we've now had 3-4 people come in to estimate cleaning our house....without exception, they have all gotten a "look" on their face that implied our house wasn't clean enough for them to clean. I don't get it!!! Is this not what we are willing to PAY them to do?

The funny thing is that currently, our house is pretty clean and well organized. They all gave us bids, but I don't know about that attitude. Are ALL cleaning services like this or are we MUCH filthier than we think?

Maybe THIS is why my mother always feels the need to "clean up" before their cleaning person arrives.

2. # ADS

Maybe you just have heaps of stuff that would be very labour intensive to dust! I'm puzzled by their attitude though because they must work out their price according to the effort and time involved. I'd think that a bigger/messier/more involved job would be a good thing because it would attract a higher price.

We hired someone (a gay couple, actually) to clean our house a couple of months ago. They are freaking AWESOME!

Anyway, yeah, when they did the consult they were like - whoa, you need help. I apologized for the clutter, but they were like, don't EVER clean up before we come over! That's what we're for!

So, there is SOME attitude about or slovenly nature, but also mixed with good-nature, you know? They never made me feel bad. That's why I like them so much!!!

I was expecting that look from mine, but she was really nice about it.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't CLEAN before Betty comes, but I definitely TIDY up. I figure I'm paying her to clean - and she can't clean if there's piles of crap everywhere or stuff isn't in its rightful place. As she comes every two weeks, I have been able to really embrace the constant tidiness. And that right there is worth the money.

The other day a friend (the one who recommended her - and maybe the only one who knows I have "one") came by on Saturday. She said, "Your house looks clean. Did your lady just come?" I wasn't sure how to take it, but she was right. It's never looked better.

You know you oughta read that chapter in Barbara Ehrenreich's book "nickel and Dimed" to see what those larger chain-type cleaning services do- or rather DON't do when they come to 'clean your house'... it was a real eye-opener. The basically create the illusion of having been cleaned while being pretty unsanitary.

Is your place older, with skirting-boards and mouldings and stuff? Cos they;re more labour-0intersive to make clean cos of the nooks and crannies.... the cleaning services prefer modern places with lots of smooth spaces, easier to whiz over.

The best cleaning people we've had and my friends have had have been little on-the-sly jobbies, people who just do it on their own, cash-in-hand. They, by necessity, get their jobs through word-of mouth so ask around at work, friends etc.

I did read "Nickel and Dimed" and don't want to use a larger cleaning service because of it. I am worried about where to find a trustworthy person or couple to clean the house since I don't know anyone that has anyone (other than my mother who says lately her cleaning lady hasn't been doing that great of a job.)

Eli
    I am a housekeeper, and right now I work for eight different families. And, yes, sometimes I wonder how much difference I make, because the house is already so clean. But, when I miss the occasional appointment due to illness, I can always tell that weekly appointments are indeed necessary.

As a housekeeper, I do hate nicknacks with a passion. But, it really doesn't matter. I would never turn down a job because of them. I charge 15 to 20 an hour, depending on the house, and I have an "excessive filth clause" that lets me charge 25 if things are disgusting, although I've only used it once. First time or irregular jobs (like 4x a year) are 25 as well. I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive, and I think that's why I get so many jobs.

Some clients tidy up, some tell me where to pile the crap for them to deal with later. Only one wants me to put everything away, and she also wants me to sort out her mail. It's all about your level of comfort.

As for the weirdness of being in someone's house alone, it takes some getting used to. I have keys and alarm codes to everyone's houses, and sometimes I house-sit for them.

Just a note: the housekeeper doesn't have a right to ask you to leave the house while he/she works. That's crazy! It's your house! Most of my clients are gone when I'm there, but that's their preference. One of them told me, "I love coming home after you've been here. It's like a magical cleaning fairy came along!" Okay, as long as you remember to leave that $60 on the table.

Self-employment is the way to go. Aside from the awesome pay, I get to choose my hours and my dress code. I love it, but recently I found out that I make more than my favorite teacher... which kind of broke my heart. I mean, shouldn't the ability to educate be valued above the ability to clean?

Okay, that was long winded, with no intro. Hello crafty people, I'm Eli, I'm a housekeeper, and I'll be graduating from university in just over 2 months.

Remove Ads

Ads