conception tips UPDATE

Obviously, I know the basic birds and bees stuff. But, my husband and I have been trying for a few months to have a baby. Used an ovulation test (gosh, they're expensive).

SO, does anyone have any tips..food to eat or avoid, old wives tales, anything really. Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!!!!!

Thanks to all that responded!! I got the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and am happy to say that I am 6 1/2 weeks pregnant. Saw it's little heart beating the other day. The book is so great!!! Again thank you so much!

2. # ADS

There's a book called "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler that probably could help you.

Otherwise, just lots & lots of sex! Although some people say that if the Mr. saves things up for a day or two (ie no self pleasuring) right around when you are most fertile, you'll have a better chance.

There are a billion theories.

It took us more than seven months...

Good luck!

I actually didn't know this until after my daughter was born -- I had a mild cough/cold the week I conceived her, and was taking Robitussin for it. (My first baby was conceived within the first month when I was 30YO, but at 38YO it was taking "a little" longer, and it was month 3 of trying.) I found out much, much later that Robitussin has a reputation for making women more receptive during their 'fertile days.'

(edited for spelling booboos)

If you think you may not be ovulating regularly, you might want to ask your doctor about Metformin (Glucophage). It is a drug that corrects insulin resistance, and insulin resistance can really "gum up the works" down there. I know several people who used it and got pregnant within months. However, it's not for everyone - especially if you have liver or kidney problems. But if you are ovulating regularly, is your husband willing to get his sperm tested? I know - it can be a touchy subject.

Good luck!

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but, I think it's interesting and haven't been able to tell ANYONE since I saw it and have been itching to!!

In the drug store the other day (Walgreen's) I saw a male fertility test kit!!!!!!!!! I still can't believe it, I wonder how it works and I think it's pretty neat for guys, I mean, I know we have to have are always having to go for appointments where people look under our hoods but, for men, it seems to be so hard much less they ahve to 'choke the chicken' in the office...that's gotta be hard and awkward, well, anyway...it's not always the girl that's having some fertility stuff going on.

This may sound really dumb so feel free to laugh. But I had seen this movie "Antonia's Line" and this woman really wanted a baby and after she had sex she was standing upside down, I guess hoping to help the little spermies swim in the right direction. So when we were trying to have a baby I figured what the hell, and I stood on my head on the bed with my feet against the wall for a few minutes afterward. No idea if it helped but it only took us 2 months to conceive, and I'm in my early 30's and he's almost 40.

Of course, it could have had nothing to do with it. We could just be really fertile, or lucky. But it was not much effort so I figured why not give it a shot. Plus it made us laugh.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is the best book. It teaches you how to read your body to tell you when you're most fertile. Basically, when you ovulate (and you may not every cycle) the egg lasts for 24 or 48 hours (can't remember), but sperm can live four days. You get clues to when you're about to ovulate, so if you time it right, you have the highest chances of the egg being fertilized.

Also if you just came off of birth control, it could take a couple of months for your cycles to readjust themselves to normal. We technically tried for a year and 3 months, but I don't really count the first three months after stopping birth control.

As far as other stuff, staying in bed afterwards so nothing comes out does help. No magic food, other than being and eating healthy keeps your body healthier. Robitussin does help, because it makes the fluid easier for the sperm to get through faster. (That's one of the signs of being fertile is your fluid changes and gets thicker and really stretchy...icky, but it's true)

One thing about the Taking Charge of your Fertility book is that you see how easily people think they're infertile, when they really are ignoring the signs or misreading them. Also if you do have a fertility problem, it can help you find it, but most of the time you don't. I had a strange cycle (missing 6 months in a row occassionally) so I was about to go to the Dr. when all of a sudden! lol.

I also recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Here's a link to a overview of the same method talked about in the book: Scratch that the link didn't work for some reason. If you go to http://www.plannedparenthood.org you can type in "fertility awareness" in the search field at the bottom right hand side of the page.
    You don't need to buy expensive ovulation tests, you can figure it out yourself.
    Good luck!

I tried an ovulation test for one month (after quite a while of charting). I got much clearer and more useful information from charting than that waste of money :P

Although the ovulation tests can also add to the charting helping it be a little bit more clear, but you'd still probably find a better way to spend the money.

Remove Ads

Ads