Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuck! Roaches!

Yuck! Roaches!

i just found the second giant cockroach in my room, and i'm grossed out!

before you think i'm a disgusting slob, let me tell you, i live in a basement room that is poorly sealed to the outside and the rest of the crawlspace under the house, so it's easy for bugs to get in from the outside. it's pretty common to see roaches outside here, so i am really hoping they are getting in, and not breeding somewhere in the house. i rarely bring food into my room, and if i do, i bring the dishes up to the kitchen as soon as i'm done, so there isn't ever any food waste in my room.

today, the damn thing ran out from under a pair of jeans that i was picking up off the floor to put on, so you can bet i'm not going to put anything on the floor anymore!

is there any kind of trap i can put out that isn't too toxic? my room doesn't have that great of ventilation, so i don't want to use anything that is volatile, or a spray. i don't want to actually attract more bugs, just kill or trap the ones that get inside.

usually i'm the kind of person who takes bugs outside when i find them instead of killing them, but these roaches are big, gross, and fast, so i'd rather just kill them.

2. # ADS

The only thing that works for us is regularly-scheduled quarterly visits from the exterminator. Now, he only goes around the outside perimeter of the house. With the new technology, he doesn't have to come inside and spray anymore.

I don't mind killing these particular creatures. You do whatcha gotta go. Our problem is potentially bigger than yours, considering we have a whole house - with kids, etc. We have an older house with an exposed cellar.

I found one in our bathroom a couple of weeks ago. Luckily I haven't seen any more. Our complex has an exterminator come every 2 months. He uses some kind of gel. It doesn't have a smell and dries almost immediately. I don't what the gel is but maybe if you call around you can find someone to tell you.

Boric acid powder put into the cracks will keep them out--it's toxic to them. Not too good, though, if you have a dog or cat. Also, the best roach-killer traps I ever had, I made myself. 50% cocoa powder and 50%boric acid powder (I used the Borax laundry product). Roaches love cocoa, and the boric acid gives them fatal indigestion.

i have boric acid, i'll powder some into the crack between the carpet and the wall! there are no pets here, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I know it's gross, and not PC or environmentally conscious, but I spray the suckers with a bug killing spray. The one I got doesn't really even smell too bad, nor does it stain the carpet or walls and my dog won't go near where I sprayed it, so I don't worry about it poisoning her.

I just cannot handle that nasty gooey splat of hitting them with a shoe, ew!

Here's something that may put this in perspective--
    did you know that, during the Carboniferous period, the roaches were two feet long? Try swatting that with a shoe! Yucky!!!

most bug sprays these days are pyrethrins with piperonyl butoxide as a synergist, and they're not horribly toxic to mammals, but they are very toxic to insects (obviously) and can be fairly toxic to aquatic species. it's also likely that pyrethroids are endocrine disruptors, but that's neither here nor there at this point... pyrethroids are a hell of a lot safer than malathion, which they used to put in bug spray! as long as you follow the label on the can for disposal, household bug killer isn't a huge environmental problem.

in any case, my room is basically an enclosed airspace, so the perfume they add to bug spray really gets to me even if the active ingredient doesnt!

if the roaches in my room were any bigger than they are, i would have to move, so it's a good thing they aren't from the Carboniferous!

okay, i've declared war. or, as i am required to say as a Futurama geek, "War were declared." (anyone who finds that funny and immediately thinks of ham flavored chewing gum is on my team).

i found two more damn roaches hiding under things today. fuck needing to breathe, i'm going to the hardware store tomorrow for the big guns.

i wish i could make my landlady deal with it, but i'm living in the basement illegally, plus there is something in the lease about the tenant paying for pest control.

for now, i dusted some boric acid around the corner i've seen the most bugs, and i made a paste of flour, sugar, and boric acid (saw that recipe online somewhere) and put little balls of it around where roaches might be hiding. one ran into a crevice before i could kill it, so i stuck a wad of boric acid paste where it hid. motherfucker.

i am so beyond any kind of vegetarian guilt, here. i pulled a pair of pants off a hanger to iron, and a roach fell out of the waistband. that's just not okay with me.

here is my plan of action, based on 15 minutes of web research:

-go to hardware store. find something, hopefully some kind of gel, that i can squeeze into the cracks and crevices.

-buy plastic storage bins to replace the carboard boxes i am currently storing things in. apparently they like to breed in corrugated cardboard.

-vacuum everything, even under the furniture.

-check under and behind all of my books and other stuff on my shelves.

now i'm afraid i'm going to transport cockroaches or eggs to my new apartment when i move! i guess i'll have to take all my furniture apart and leave it in the sun for a while or something. unfortunately, i'm stuck here until the end of august, so i have a while to worry about it...

Oh blech, stella, how terrible!! What about those roach motels, where they eat the poison and then take it back to the nest (or so I seem to remember from the commercials). Maybe that would help some, too???

Good luck with the war!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads