+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ooh, you should tell your mom to make a little body out of chicken wire and set it in the seat, planted with vines or climbers it will look like 'a little green man' is driving the car!-PHH

2. # ADS

That would look brilliant. I must tell her next time we chat. Not sure what my Dad will think though. He thinks Mom and I have enough crazy ideas as it is! LOL

try file cabinets!

i have three metal file cabinet drawers in my front porch that i use as planters. they are propped up on cinder blocks and lay side by side. just drill some holes in the bottom of each drawer for the water to seep out and voila, instant chabby chic. you can even add little tags of what is growing on the face of the drawers. i am a big fan of how the metal slowly gets taken over by red rust. the remaining cabinet (which held the drawers) was flipped to the side and makes a gigantic planter that is now growing bamboo!

I got some Belfast sink from freecycle last year, they were really tatty looking they had huge chips in them, and someone had tried painting them. I was tempted to leave them as they were, but the frost would have destroyed them come winter so I found a good recipe for covering them.
    First I washed them and gave them a coat of PVA glue, really rough, then I made a mixture of 2 parts sand, 2 parts peat, and 1 part cement, added some water so it stuck together, but wasn't too wet (experiment, I got it right by the 3rd sink) Then with rubber gloves on blokey and I played at mud pies and covered the outsides with it. Such a fun afternoon!
    The theory is that the peat in the mixture will make moss grow on them quicker, it's been a few months and it hasn't happened yet, but either way they look fantastic. Everyone thought I was nuts for getting them originally, but they get so many compliments, and I'd have to pay 100's of pounds for them in a garden centre.
    I've stood them on some bricks, and made sure the plug hole end is lower down so the drainage has been good. My plants have thrived in them.

Other ideas I've seen for unusual pots which I haven't tried but want to.
    Old paint cans
    Fruit juice Tetra packs
    Or to scare the neighbouring kids away... Dolls heads :/

a new room outdoors

I have a soft spot for really nice old wooden furniture that gets thrown out with the garbage. I find things by the side of the road all the time, and if I drive by something that catches my eye I will usually take it home first and debate what I would use it for later. What I don't use I end up freecycling, and I've never been stuck with any furniture that I couldn't find a use for.

My favorite junk-planter is a bureau I found, long but short (the kind you'd keep in a hallway). I drilled holes in all of the drawers, and pulled them out in a staggered fashion. Then I filled the bottom of each with long cocoa fiber as a lining and planted flowering plants - two creepers and two cascading stemmed annuals with small flowers. So that it doesn't look out of place, I have several lawn chairs arranged near the bureau, and I keep the top clear so that when we relax outside, the top is for beverages and/or citronella candles (contained in ceramic, obviously don't want to start a fire). It looks like a room outside, with the best view in the house. =)

I think it's especially important with junk-planters to never paint them, as the idea is that the objects you use are junk - they should be free or nearly free, and you should be willing to give them back to nature and let them break down. The process of the object breaking down and biodegrading over the years is part of the interest and the charm of the thing. Junk-planting is a time based art. Otherwise, your lawn can quickly look like a landfill.

If you want to try something smaller, single drawers make good low-lying planters, facing out against a wall, planted with small annuals. The other important part of junk-planting is to make sure the plants are going to be proportional to your object.

The cheapest and most temporal object I've used is to plant amaryllis bulbs in the cardboard box that they came in - I work at a garden center and once the bulbs are sold out they break down these small 6x8x8 inch boxes that the bulbs come in, very sturdy corrugated cardboard (and even better, a few have a photo sticker on the side of the flower, so it acts as a plant tag). I read in a book that planting in cardboard or Tetra-packs is supposed to last only 3-4 weeks, but I've had these guys out all summer in swamp-like DC and they're still intact. I'll probably have to recycle them when I bring the bulbs in! I used a few Tetra-packs for seeds, and they work well enough until the plant starts to mature, then I find that they aren't stable enough to support the plant's weight, and blow over easily in the wind. I'd recommend something with a heavier base, or placing them in something with sturdy sides, like a crate?

Oh, and a word of warning -- if you use coffee tins or other metal containers as planters and they're not siting on the ground, give serious thought to what sort of saucer or base to put them on, because the can will rust-stain whatever is underneath it as it corrodes.

I had a zainy neighbor who put marbles bought from the grocery store (yes, the cheap kind you're actually meant to play marbles with!) in with his garden rocks. It was really unique and the colours looked awesome. Also, an old wrought-iron head board is always good for a climbing plant like Ivy or Morning Glories!

My dad took an old pair of my brother's beaten up combat boots, and turned them into flower pots on the front porch. My brother had spray painted them silver before they finally gave up the ghost, but my dad resurected them i guess. They looked great, and made the neighbors laugh.

My next door neighbor has an old slop sink in her yard that i keep thinking she will turn into a planter, i know i would.

I love this topic! I'm inclined to use anything as a planter. We deconstructed some old junk cars awhile back, I hung the old horn on a fence post and use it for small annuals. I like old bicycle baskets also.

planter

My friend and I found a stainless steel garbage can..that was broken...The kick opener didn't open...so we grabbed it.. I am going to turn it into a planter... I think I should fill the bottom with something so I don't need to put dirt all the way to the bottom..

I've got a couple old bowling balls in my garden. They look like those "gazing balls." I also use some of my kids old toys, like plastic action figures peeking out from my hostas.

Ads