Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with vegan.

Luck surprised me one day and I met up with a friend from college who was walking down my street. I was so excited because she lives less than a block away now.
    I'd love to have her over for dinner but there is one catch...she's vegan. She explained all of it for me, but I find it difficult to not use dairy. I have no problem avoiding meat. I am really stumpted when it comes to soy. Can anyone reccomend some easy vegan recipes other than dry salad!?
    I'm not tring to poke fun, I just have no clue what to make!
    -Anners

2. # ADS

I would suggest going to the library and picking up some vegan cookbooks... my personal favorite is the Candle Cafe cookbook. There are some pretty easy recipes in there and the ones I've tried are delicious.

For easy prep of tofu, you can get pre-marinated varities that are super yummy. All you have to do is throw the slices in the skillet and you're done. I also find pasta with lots of steamed veggies and a little olive oil tasty and easy. Good luck!

Back when my honey was avoiding milk products and I was vegetarian, most of our meals were vegan by default. I don't know if you'd like dinner to be more casual or more formal, but some things that worked really well for us were

make-your-own pizzas (prepare the crust ahead of time, and have lots of yummy veggie toppings to pick from, maybe even vegan pesto; with the right toppings, pizza doesn't need the cheese at all).

make-your-own burritos or tacos (you can have beans as a base topping, or you can even by meat-substitute "veggie ground").

Mexican food generally is your friend (just leave out the cheese and sour cream!) -- guacamole is the ultimate in creamy, dairy-free goodness!

Also look into Asian and Indian foods (just steer clear of cream sauces, raita and paneer when looking at Indian foods!). Remember that outside of Western Europe the majority of the world is lactose-intolerant, so you can often find dairy-free foods -- and there are so many good meat substitutes widely available these days.

I have a copy of Garden of Vegan that has some good recipes and ideas in it. Also has a good list of substitution ideas for those of us used to cooking with dairy.

There is a recipe for oatmeal chocolate cookies (made with a banana instead of eggs) - sounds wierd, but they are to die for.

I liked it because it had good coverage for all meals and courses. As a non-vegan, I am not likely to buy too many vegan cookbooks. Had to make this one count.

I would pick a pasta or grain that you want to serve as your main course and then build up a fabulous sauce around it. Grilled veggies + balsamic viengar + pasta would make a delicious summer feast.

And you salad needn't be dry. You could whip up just about any vinaigrette and have it be vegan. This is probably the one course that you already ahev a bunch of inadvertently vegan recipes for, so go nuts.

I am kind of squeamish about soy meat/dairy-substitute products, so I usually try to make things that I would ordinarily buy that can be prepared in a vegan-friendly way.

PM me if you need some more help/recipes.

since youre just having her over for dinner, you dont have to worry *too* much about the meal being completely balanced. im sure your friend pays SUPER close attention to what goes into her body at every other meal, making certain that shes getting all the nutrients and proteins her body needs.

here are some very savory ideas for a main course:
    -- polenta stuffed red peppers, roasted, and topped with an earthy maranara
    -- bbq tempeh, greens, and corn bread
    -- grilled/roast veggies dressed with olive oil and balsamic, served on a good crusty (but vegan!) bread

on of my favorite summer desserts is strawberries or raspberries topped with a reduced balsamic and honey sauce. SO GOOD.

since youre just having her over for dinner, you dont have to worry *too* much about the meal being completely balanced. im sure your friend pays SUPER close attention to what goes into her body at every other meal, making certain that shes getting all the nutrients and proteins her body needs, but this isnt something you necessarily have to worry about since your cooking dinner is a one time deal.

here are some very savory ideas for a main course:
    -- polenta stuffed red peppers, roasted, and topped with an earthy maranara
    -- bbq tempeh, greens, and corn bread
    -- grilled/roast veggies dressed with olive oil and balsamic, served on a good crusty (but vegan!) bread

on of my favorite summer desserts is strawberries or raspberries topped with a reduced balsamic and honey sauce. SO GOOD.

sorry for the double post, im a bo-bo.

Maybe have a meal in mind when you invite her and say "I was thinking of making couscous peppers" and see how she reacts. She may give you suggestions on how to cook something vegan too.

A half cup of applesauce can substitute for egg in baked goods, that's about all I learned when I had a vegan friend in college.

vegweb.com and fatfreevegan.com are really good resources for recipes. I know it seems overwhelming at first, but you probably make some things that happen to be vegan already (stir-fries and roast veggies and so on).

Most of the time I'm so pleased that my host has made something vegan at all that I don't care what it is (the only exception was the time my cousin gave me a bowl of plain boiled rice for dinner, but as long as you avoid that you'll be fine!).

I second the idea of pasta and veggies. You could even make a homemade sauce with tomatoes, onions, peppers and herbs. I also like to add a splash of white wine. You could make a really good garlic bread with brushing the top of the slices of a good vegan Italian bread with olive oil, minced garlic and herbs.

I also make this African Ground Nut Stew that could easily be vegan without sacrificing taste. I make a similar recipe with chicken, but you could leave out the chicken and use vegetable stock. I serve it over couscous and also use plaintains.

I'm also surprised no one has suggested a hummus appetizer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads