a credit card you're happy with?

We are in the process of paying off costs put on a credit card for a certification training program taken many yrs ago.

Right now I have an MBNA mastercard and the rate has gone up to about 18% even though we have good credit and have had the card for many yrs. So I’m looking for a card with a better rate and relatively consumer-friendly policies (no ridiculous late fee or annual fee, etc.)

Does anyone here have a credit card they’re fairly satisfied with that they would recommend (or, on the flip side, a recommendation of one to definitely avoid)? I also plan to consult Consumer Reports’ Nov 2005 article which lists some consumer-friendly cards. Thanks.

2. # ADS

We have a cc through our bank which is convenient because we can set it to autopay (either a certain amount or the whole thing) every month and not worry about late charges. I'm pretty sure there's no annual fee, but that could be based on our overall financial relationship as well.

I won't carry a Capital One card because they kill too many trees sending both of us offers multiple times a week. But that's not based on the card itself. :)

(Weird... the Google ads are all about religion...)

By the way - in case this info could be useful to anyone else - after doing some research and reading the Consumner Reports article from Nov 05 I applied for the Simmons First Visa. It has a fixed 8.95 rate and no annual fee and some other good things. If you google for Simmons First visa you will find it.

Hopefully it all works out and I get a good deal...

I have a Providian Visa. I have terrible credit and I don't pay anywhere near 18% and there is no annual fee.

www.providian.com

I knew someone that worked for a credit card company awhile back and she gave me a great tip. If you call the company and ask really nice they sometimes lower your interest rate. Mind you, you have to be a good customer-pay your bill on time etc.

I tried this and two of my credit cards got the interest lowered-2% on one and 1.5% on the other. It was a nice surprise. While not a huge amount it still saves me money.

Remove Ads

Ads