Has anyone adopted?

As my daughter gets older I'm starting to think about whether we will have another kid. If we do I'd really like to consider adopting our second child. Has anyone adopted? What was your experience like?

2. # ADS

I haven't adopted, but I really commend you on your thinking - I really think, that with so many unwanted children out there, it is near imperative that people adopt instead of breed. Not to mention how overpopulated the earth is!

One day, I hope to adopt.

someone in my family recently adopted from Guatemala. However, they are cracking down on international adoption considering that 1 out of every 10 children born in Guatemala is adopted out (some women are using this as a form of income).

friends are currently getting ready to adopt from China. There is about a 100% chance that if you do chose this nation, you are going to get a girl since society is male based.

adoption involves a LOT of paperwork. also friends/family writing recommendations. Plus money.

Honestly, I give props to people who adopt. Anyone can conceive a kid in the back of an SUV... people who adopt REALLY want a child and will probably be great parents because of it.

There are many conferences around for those who are intersted in adopting or people who have adopted who want to share their stories, etc. You should check this out. http://www.whfc.org/events/AroundUS.htm

my friend's aunt and uncle tried to adopt a baby from China, but they were told that they could only adopt a certain age of child based on their age; since they were in their mid and late 40s, they were told they could only adopt an older child, and they really wanted a baby...

also, it's not true that "anyone can conceive"... people like my friend's aunt and uncle go through years of effort and heartbreak trying to conceive and are never able to.

A coworker of mine adopted two little girls after she had become the foster mother to one of them. Originally, she was just going to be a foster mother, but then she decided to adopt her foster daughter and child services really wanted her to adopt one of her siblings (I think there were 5 in all and they didn't want to split them up too much). She's a great mother, the little girls are really doing well, and I imagine she will adopt again.

Yeah, I had wondered about the $ issue, whether the costs would be prohibitive for our family. I think my employer may have some fin. assistance for adoption costs but I don't know that it's very much.

I'm considering it for the future but I think my health problems might actually be more of a hindrance to adoption than to getting pregnant. I've heard of a few people with the illness I have who were denied adoption because the mom had Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. The adoption agencies think that people with chronic (but controlled) diseases will be neglectful parents. And even though foreign adoption is usually easier for people with obstacles, it might be cost prohibative especially since we only have one income (if I want to have any kind of life at all, like crafting, reading, cleaning, exercising, etc. then I can't work).

Remove Ads

Ads