+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Making an Apartment into a Home?

Hello, fellow Craftsy people! I've got kind of an odd problem that I was wondering if you all could help me with.

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving in a few months, and we're going to be living in a little studio apartment. The move is going to be wonderful, but it's also going to be very hard because I'm moving about six hours away from my family (specifically my mom and little brother), so, I want to find a way to help make the transition easier.

The thing is, I'm just a dorky little 19 year old College Student, so I don't really have many things to add to the place to make it ours. I have a couple of posters, but that really isn't going to cut it.

What I'm wondering is if anybody knows any craft ideas for making little things to make a house (or in this case, an apartment) a home?

Any ideas are welcome, as I'm open to pretty much everything. (Though I'm just starting knitting, so anything too advanced will probably be a few years in the making!)

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone might be able to give me with this. I'm, to be frank, really nervous about how badly I'm going to miss my mom, my brother, and 'home', so this is something wieghing heavily on my mind.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. # ADS

I highly recommend Digs magazine for anyone, but especially folks moving into their first place:
    http://www.digsmagazine.com/index.htm

They have articles on everything from how to make a studio apartment look bigger to throwing your first "adult" party.

A studio can be tough if there is a lack of privacy and storage - I see a trip to Ikea in your future! The key is to divide the space as much as possible (with shelves or just groupings of furniture.

If you do not mind my prying, what is the square footage of the place... that can dictate everything...

It's around 336 square feet, I believe.

If you're interested, here's what the layout looks like..

Click for layout picture!

The walk-in closet off of the bathroom is what I'm planning on using to stash all my books & craft things, since they're a necessity to life, hehe. And we're talking about changing the "breakfast" area into a mini-bedroom where we'll put the bed so we can keep it out of the living area.

There's also a place that's 900 square feet that we're looking into, which, would really be much better, but it's a tad more expensive, so we're not sure just yet.

It's usually how you accessorize that makes a place personal and homely to you. Can you run up some cushion covers and throws on a sewing machine. Use coordinating fabrics in colors you like. Check out flea markets and goodwill stores. Or yould knit them :) Perhaps you could find some lamps that you could change the shades on, either embellish or make your own.

Cheap photo frames filled with photos of you and your boyfriend and your families. My eldest niece makes montages using her photos and puts them on the wall in large poster clip frames. Or you xould decorate the frames themselves.

Check out thrift shops for furniture that you can paint, re-upholster or decoupage. Get yourself a staple gun if you haven't already got one!

Storage will be useful in a small space. Think about storage in the kitchen and bathroom as well. Yep definitely a trip to IKEA! :) You could make a laundry bag, or smaller bags for bits and pieces. Hang on the back of the door.

Plants add a nice touch, paint plain terracotta pots to make them more personal.

Make some coasters from fabric, decorate a wooden chopping board, this can be used or hung on the wall.

As for ornaments and knick knacks think about what you can pick up for free, pebbles in a bowl look cute in a bathroom. Curly twigs in a vase.

A group of candles on a tray or plate. For romantic evenings ;)

You will have so much fun establishing your first home. Good luck to you both.

Paper is a great way to decorate. If you have any really good craft , art or stationary stores with textured paper, you can use it to cover all kinds of thrift shop items, from trash cans to old photo frames. Paint also does an amazing amount. you can use spray paint to change the color of many items, even plastic ones. Acrylic spray paint doesn't cost a lot- just make sure you use it outdoors in a well-ventilated area. You might also look at Croq Zine (http://community.livejournal.com/croqzine/), which has lots of cheap and crafty ideas (I have to admit that I'm in the summer issue).

Hi guys, thanks for the great replies!!!

I'm already plotting some things thanks to the advice I've recieved here, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Anthrogirl - Thanks for the suggestion to check out Croq, I've heard a lot about them, but I haven't gotten ahold of any of the issues yet. As for the well ventilated area, that's easily done --- right now I live in the middle of nowhere and the great outdoors is all around, so I can easily set up some stuff outside with no problems!

Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate this. I'm really, really nervous about the move, but planning things for the apartment is really helping me be excited and calming me down, so thanks a lot!

From the layout of the place I'd say you're really lucky to have so many closets! With that in mind, I would recommend taking the doors off the closets and replacing them with pieces of cloth (curtains or panels of fabric that you put up). You can use curtain rods or a staple gun (the cheaper route). I do this in my apartments and it always seems to help make it seem bigger because there's no chance of leaving doors open and blocking walkways. It's also a fun way to add texture and color if you can't paint in your apartment. Good luck on the move in!

you could make some fun magnets to cover your fridge with pictures of your family!

also, i think maps look really cool as art - i have a map of my hometown framed on my wall. you could do that too as a reminder of your family and where you came from.

Hehehe, the magnets are an EXCELLENT idea!! I hadn't thought of that, thank you so much!!

As for maps -- I love maps as art! I wouldn't use one from where I'm from though, because, well, I dislike this place, and we're not *really* from here. But I think I might take a map of our hometown in Pennsylvania and circle important places on it and frame it! I think that'd be awesome!!

Thanks for the great ideas everyone, I really appreciate it!

Ads