Anyone know about drying flowers?

There are fields and fields of goldenrod, I have huge plumes of deep burgundy Amaranthus, red yarrow etc. I'm not big on dead stuff gracing my presence BUT, I am visualising making a garland of these items around my front door frame for the fall. How can I preserve the color.

2. # ADS

i used to constantly be hanging flowers to dry them. some flowers don't fade so much but if you do, you might try a clear lacquer spray. they'll be a little more durable that way.

this one thing my mom did not so long ago was dip roses into melted paraffin wax. unfortunately, the rose looked fake! however, it stayed looking fresh like that for as long as i can recall. but it looked so fake that she wouldn't display it. wonder if that stuff's still in the garage....

Never tried it, but remember others talking about using cat litter and micro with great success.

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/...-flowers.shtml
    If you are looking for public domain images, be sure to check out our trio of websites - http://www.freevintageart.com free images based on American copyright law, http://www.reusableart.com our first and oldest site with public domain images from around the world, and http://www.thefamousartists.com a celebration of the works of some of the world's most famous artists.

I just hang them upside down. Sometimes I use a pretty ribbon and leave them hanging on the wall. I don't usually lose the color, but the flowers sometimes darken. Just make sure they are out of direct sunlight. The petals will shrink a little, but they still look pretty and keep their shape. Make sure the blooms don't touch while drying. I dried my bridal bouquet and it still looks great after 2 years. Good luck.

PS- Do they mean scooping cat litter or clay litter on that website? I couldn't tell.

hang them upsidedown and after a day spay them with hairspray.-PHH

I press alot of my flowers in a Bible I got for my wedding...like zinnia petals and moonflowers and rose petals.
    When I get a boquet, I put a pretty ribbon around them and hang them in a rarely-used closet in my house. After they are dry after a few weeks, then I arrange them in a vase. My husband thinks they are ugly, but I like them...how else will I cherish the sentimental things he does?

the flower drying crystals at michaels will preserve the color really nicely. however, you need to strip off the leaves. and depending on your quantity, you may need quite a bit to dry the stuff properly. once it's all used up, you can dry it out in the microwave and reuse it.

used to constantly be hanging flowers to dry them. some flowers don't fade so much but if you do, you might try a clear lacquer spray. they'll be a little more durable that way.

Remove Ads

Ads