Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

having.."The Talk"

I need to have "The Talk" with my son, who is almost 12.. he pretty much understands that sperm meets egg... but I want to talk about the things that really matter, like waiting til ready, like giving yourself permission and not making sex ugly or guilt ridden, treating women and yourself with respect, etc etc.. so much to cover!

Can anyone recommend any good books or anything to help me? I started an outline to help me keep track of things I want to cover, but I didn't think it would be this soon! He tells me how he has a girlfriend, and I blew it off and then I saw them holding hands at his football game! (they are in 6th grade).

I don't want to pull out the Ol' Our Bodies, Our Selves charts and pictures but he is curious about how babies are born and I think he deserves to know....he is my only son and I have never done this before... any advice?

2. # ADS

I just want to applaud you for doing it... many parents don't, which seems crazy to me. Other than that, I have no advice because I haven't been in your shoes. Good luck! :-)

Go to your local Planned Parenthood and ask for any and all brochures! Good luck and how great that you are being proactive about your son learning about sex from you and not on the school bus!

BTDT....also mom of a 12 yo boy. Our chat was last year when obvious he and his friends were discussing "things". Not keen on him learning wacky(IMHO) attitudes/ideas from friends' parents. ICK!!!

Be honest with your son re: your values and ideas re: sexuality. Reinforce that "others' may have different values, and that's ok, but these are our values and why...." Sperm-> egg is the easy part.

Don't forget contraception. It's information all sexually responsible teens need whether sexually active or practicing abstinance. Information is not a license to practice.

We made certain our boy understood that sex is not a tool, a weapon, etc. And to choose his partners carefully as any could be the Mother of his Children, and every intercourse encounter could result in pregnancy or disease. That really impacted him!

Our son didn't ask re:specific acts, so you may want to hold off on karma sutra. Kids usually only ask what they're capable of processing. When he uses slang terms( and he will), take that as a cue to revisit his topical knowledge and correct as necessary.

Good luck! Pm me if you need specifics.

Also, make sure that your body language doesn't say ‘this talk is freaking me out!' or ‘sex is bad bad bad' because he will sense that. My mom was very open and honest which made 'the talk' seem somewhat normal and not awkward. And we can still talk freely about most things related to sex today.

My dad & step-mom are the complete opposite (beaver cleaver family). I don’t think they even knew that I got ‘the talk’ from my mom, who I only saw on the weekends, and they were very okay with that. And to this day we have never talked about anything sexual (or even very personal for that matter).

Try this link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Girls-Bod...e=UTF8&s=books

I'm very happy for you, and gladthat you're having this talk with your son! It's important for him to hear these things from you and not from strangers.

It's so great that you're doing this...not enough parents do! When I was in college there were several people there who believed some pretty dangerous lies and myths (examples: birth control pills prevent STDs, a girl can't get pregnant the first time she has sex, etc). I couldn't believe they were that age and still believed those things. Their families never really talked about sex, so they just picked up whatever they could along the way.

My mom just gave me a book something with the words "our bodies" in it I think.

Anyway, that was that.

Good luck, I commend it, clearly you are more courageous than my mother (and she was dealing with a girl.)

Who knows what she did with my brother???

Oh, the talk!! My older son is turning 12 on Dec. 1st. He and my younger son are 7 yrs. apart, so he has been getting information from us gradually since he was 6/7 yrs. old, starting w/ the "where do babies come from" questions. He has just started going through puberty, pimples, b.o., broadening shoulders, genital enlargement.
    He laughs hysterically over any mention of "balls" and is still a goofball, but he's also becoming a bit more responsible.
    Having a littleboy/young man is quite a trip to be sure!
    Anyway, he understands how babies are made, we've given him info when he hears a sexual term he doesn't understand. He'll just give us a goofy smile, say "hmm", and nod in response. Nothing is off-limits for him to ask us.
    I've thrown in things here and there about respecting other people's bodies, about not playing head games w/ people of any sex, and respecting himself enough to take the time to get to know someone he really likes before taking things further.
    Last week we were out and about, and saw a jeep w/ it's tire mounted on the back w/ a cover over it that said "Tire condom". So he asked me what a condom was. LOL!
    those conversations can spring up in the oddest of places!

Sewlittletime, you sound like an awesome mom. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads