Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: marital age

I got married at 23 (almost 24) and I''m almost 30 now and I feel like I was young...but I wouldn''t change it. I like having a solid relationship heading into my 30''s. Plus my husband was older by 5 years so who knows if that makes a difference.
    I agree with the whole "depends" group. There is no too young when it comes to age (unless you''re 12 or something)...but there is too young when it comes to maturity.
    Personally, I think it''s smart to have had at least one other major relationship under your belt before you get married. I think it''s good to know what you "don''t" want.

2. # ADS

I''m 21 and my husband is 24, and it''s hard to say if we''re too young (as we''ve only been married 4 months). On the one hand, we''re both students, we enjoy eating cookies for dinner and cake for breakfast, and we have waterfights sometimes IN the house. But on the other hand, I''d say we''re doing well for ourselves. We both work, we own our own house, have a nice car, very little debt and manage (somehow) to make our mortgage every month. While there are things about us that are still far from "adult", I''d say we have the important things covered, and that''s really what matters.

And as for divorce, if you want to know my opinion on it...
    People divorce for one reason and one reason only: They go into marriage thinking, "well, if this doesn''t work, we can always divorce". People divorce because they look at it as an option. I''m not saying that all people who DO look at it as an option will divorce, but I am saying that marriage gets hard, but you HAVE TO work through it. I suppose this is all easy for me to say, I''m still a newlywed and things haven''t gotten hard yet. But my husband and I talked a lot about this before we married, and came to an absolute that we would not, under any circumstances, even consider divorce.

I was in a similar situation as you (the person who started this thread)
    I met a guy when I was young, then at 22 we decided that we wanted to get married. We had been madly in love, living together, etc for years.
    However he became heavily involved in drugs. I loved him, tried to get him to stop etc, and finally left for my own sanity. When he got cleaned up, we began talking again about being together, but my gut told me to watch out. I ignored it, fell madly in love with him all over again, and he died of an overdose within a month.
    I guess the moral of the story is - even if you have been with them for years, even if you do love them unconditionally, that doesn''t always mean they are right for you. It doesn''t always mean you''re meant to be together.
    I took some time after his death to prove to myself that I could be just fine alone. Four years later - I''m engaged to the most wonderful man, who I know I can talk to about anything and there isn''t a shred of doubt.
    I know I hated when people told me this, but it''s true.. don''t be afraid to be young and silly. Don''t be afraid to be alone, take the time you need to get to know yourself, date yourself first! If he''s the one, he''ll understand and still be there for you. If he doesn''t - then he may not be emotionally mature enough to handle a marriage.

My husband and I jsut celebrated our one year anniversary last January. I''m 20 now almost 21, WOOHOO! next month, and he was 24. We had only known each other for less than a year.We''re VERY happy together, I''ve never thought that I was too young, guess I''m an old soul, I had been in a really abusive relationship previously which had me wanting to be single, but on our first date, I just knew it was right. We''ve had more bumps in the road in two years than most people have in 30 years of marriage, between cancer, me getting temporary custody of my then 2 yr old nephew, a week after we got our first place together, death, a few major surgeries, getting our car stolen, and moving to a new state thanks to the Coast Guard, and we still wake up happy to see each other everyday and still fall asleep in each others arms every night. )
    My sister has been with her b-f since she was in the 5th grade (well, as much as you can be in the 5th grade ) ) she''s jsut turning 18, and I don''t think that she''s even DREAMED of getting married until she''s done with school and "the party scene". So it DEFINETLY depends on the person.

I''m 26 and not married. I''m not even dating anyone. I had my first relationship at 26 and thought he was the one. I was so very wrong and now I''m 99.9% sure that I''m on the path to never being married.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Ads