Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: marital age

marital age

how old were you when you got married? do you think any age is too young?

2. # ADS

I will be 32 when I get married this coming June. The man will be 34.

I think (in general) that under 25 is too young. All (not most - all) of my friends who married in their early 20's are already divorced, some for longer than they were married.

People change so much between say, 21 and 30 - I think a lot of people who marry very young are taken by suprise a few years down the road by the fact that the person they are married to is not the person they married...and vice versa.

I was 24 (I am now 30). It all depends on the couple, but I think being out of high school (and if you continue your eduction, out of undergrad) is a good benchmark.

Why do you ask?

i ask because, in addition to having a boyfriend since i was 15, im 22 and my boyfriend is very serious about our relationship...we live together and are basically married and even though i love him, it makes me very claustrophobic. im really close to my grandmother, and shes very adamant that i not get married too young. i guess i was just wondering what anyone else's experiences were. i wish i could know now whatever im going to know in 10 years.

I think if you are feeling claustrophobic, you should listen to your feelings.

I was 29 when I got married and my husband was 35. Emotionally I would have been too "young" under 25, but i think it's different for everyone.

I was 22 and my husband was 25. I think age depends on the people...

I was 22 and my husband was almost 26. We lived together for 2 1/2 years prior to that so it really was no big deal for us to put it on paper. To put a blanket statement about what age is old enough to be married is not really doable. I know 40 year olds who aren't in a mature enough frame of mind to get married and I know some younger than 25 who have it together and could stay married forever.

I agree with brdgt. You should listen to your feelings. If you aren't ready, it doesn't matter if you are 18 or 80.

i'm hoping to be married by 28 (my boyfriend will be 32) but i depends on how our school is going. my parents got married when my mom was 19 and my dad was 21 and they're still married, so i don't have a problem with people getting married young as long as it is what they want to do and not based on pressure from parents or whatever.

I was 24, he was 26. Honestly, I'd say it was too young, and we're just lucky. We could have never even guessed the way our lives would change over the last five years, and I'm grateful every day that he's in this together with me. Gosh, I'm sentimental tonight, eh?

Anyway, my advice would be: Don't rush. If you two have a good thing, it will still be good in three years, in five, in ten and more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads