Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

security system?

Last Friday my neighbor's condo was broken into. They broke a window to get in, and the windows of that condo are very well hidden from the street (mine are all viewable from a busy road). The detective was really surprised since there hasn't been a crime problem in this area for years, and they caught the people committing the last string of burglaries.

So now all the neighbors are talking about putting in security systems. I have a first floor unit, so maybe it is a good idea. However, I feel like that puts me in the situation of spending a lot of money to possibly protect my not very valuable possessions. I don't really have fine jewelry (and the stuff I care about I could just move to a safe deposit box). The most expensive things are probably my desktop computer and my TV - but even those things aren't that valuable. Plus the homeowner's insurance would cover some stuff if anything did happen.

What do people think? Is it worth the money? I don't even have a land line phone so I'd have to pay for that in addition to the system. Plus, since there are cats in the house, we probably can't use a traditional motion detector based system. It might really add up.

2. # ADS

If you aren't concerned about personal safety I would invest in good renter's insurance.

i'm biased, because i grew up in the country where we didn't even *have* locks on some of our doors, let alone lock our doors, but i don't think alarm systems are that great. they make me feel trapped.

obviously, if you are worried about your safety when you are at home, it would make sense, but if it's just for your posessions? is it worth it to protect your tv? it isn't for me. if someone robbed my house it would really suck, but as long as they didn't hurt any people or animals, it's just STUFF, not my life.

There are motion detection systems that are not affected by cats and dogs under 80lbs.
    If you are not concerned when you are home, or about your stuff, just make sure you lock up and get some barrier bars of some sort that keep windows from being lifted.
    See if you can find a security system sticker.
    I feel like I am very knowledgeable on all of this because I watch "it takes a thief" on the Discovery channel heh, but seriously.
    I do not have a security system just dead bolts on the doors and dowels in the windows so they do not open more than an inch or two without being removed if they are not locked.
    It is also a good idea to make nice with your neighbors a lot of neighbors will turn a blind eye to a burglar because they don't even realize it is a burglar! Find one you trust to give your cell phone too who will call you if something looks suspicious.
    A friend was once saying how she got a phone call from a neighbor telling her how HOT her gardener was… she says: ah I don’t have a gardener… the police were called and her stuff was retrieved…

~Q

My grandparents have been just fine with the sticker system. However, it might be good for the resale value if you have it put in; or it might serve as a deterrent to the next owner.

Back in the Day, we lived in area not quite undergoing gentrification. It wasn't that our stuff was so amazing and tempting to thieves, but the cost and hassle of replacing.

We bought a really big dog. Thus, No, No, Bad Dog came into our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    it might be good for the resale value if you have it put in
    bingo. if you see yourself selling in the not-too-distant future, this would be a definite plus for most buyers... i say this especially since you've got a place on the first floor in a big city. (you live in boston proper, right?)

I am considering both the lower home owner's insurance and resale value bonuses of the system. I don't live in the city of Boston, but I live close enough.

I had one estimate last night and I'd like to talk to 2 more companies. It doesn't help that everyday I get more and more email from my neighbors about this. I think we are all caught up in the fear of it all.

What about the cost, though, of when it does go off? My friends are charged $100 each time, because the cops have to come. And usually it's the cats that have tripped it up, apparently.

i just remembered this! in most communities, you can call the police office (non-emergency line obviously) and have either a police officer or a community service officer come to your house and do a home security walkthrough with you!

they will be able to point out any obvious things you could do to make your home more secure, and they will also know crime patterns in your area and will probably know if it's a good idea to get an alarm system or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads