Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Poor quality kids clothes...

I was digging through some bins for baby clothes.... at a local thrift shop... and I was disgusted by how pilly everything was...even clothes from the gap...(which I don't consider "cheap" but I guess they are expensive in price (to me) and cheap in quality... I did manage to find two cute dresses..and a watermelon print old-navy pajama set... It is just unbelievable the disposability factor of baby clothes!! You know they weren't able to wear the t-shirt for very long.. and everything was Trashed!! The good thing about buying used is you know how it is going to look once it has been washed a few times.... but really we are getting ripped off by the manufacturers of kids clothes...

2. # ADS

I agree with you, but there ARE exceptions. I carefully budgeted for new Hannah Andersen clothes for my first baby, and they were so well made and such good design that my baby son was able to wear most of them for nearly a year -- and he grew like a WEED those first two years! Gymboree clothes were the same - great design, sizing and craftspersonship. He wore their sweats for two years.

AND I had the wisdom to keep his HA's and Gymborees, and his baby sister wore them too eight years later.

I had very good luck with the toddler clothes I purchased at Target, but I checked every seam and avoided the stuff that was overly polyester'd.

one problem is that anything a baby will sleep in , by law, has to be flame-retardant, so they use flame retardant fibers that also feel crappy and pill badly.

oh, my target experience has been completely contrary.... pretty much everything i've gotten barely makes it through a season with my kids. and i'd like to think i treat my laundry pretty well. the osh kosh line they have there is terrible. at least it was bad enough when it first came out that i haven't bought anything from that line since.

i've found that the gap stuff i've gotten has been the best, too. even hand-me-down denim has been great.

old navy's always hit or miss quality-wise, but it seems to slowly be getting better and a bit more consistent. but their stuff is made by so many subs.... their pants don't fit my daughter well at all (or me for that matter.) it's been great for my son though. i'm not happy at all with the sprockets from mervyns line style and fit-wise but it holds up pretty well.

i buy most of their clothes at marshall's, tj maxx, and the clearance racks at the gap, the children's place and macys. in fact, i spend less on their clothes that way than i would if i shopped pretty much anywhere else and for the most part i've been happy with the quality.

....and as i'm folding laundry, i come to realize that a lot of the gap denim i have is in fact 3rd or 4th generation hand-me-down. granted, they're "distressed" now. but some are in remarkably not distressed shape. i also have some 3rd or 4th gen. hanna anderson and ralph lauren dresses that are still looking very nice. i just don't care much for the HA stuff, myself though....

Not only is the quality of many kids' clothes poor, the designs are icky -- especially for girls. For the last six months or so, I've been creating altered clothes for my kids -- shirts mainly -- purchasing either solid or very simple shirts and embellishing them in ways that speak to my kids' interests.

I've got some photos up on my blog at http://www.the-wild-rumpus.blogspot.com

I also tend to get clothes from tj maxx, marshall's, kohls, etc - I've been pretty happy with the way Carter's clothes have worn.

Amen to the altered children's clothes!! If they are not going to be able to pas theem along, why not make them feel special with their favorite shirt done by Mom. Especially when you can cover stains & holes with patches.

I used to love getting hand-me-downs or buying from the Children's Place. Their clothes always look great!

My daughter spent 2 years in adorable dresses from a consignment shop in my mother's town. It was a blast to spend 20 bucks and get 3 well-made and cute outfits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads