Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: buying a home

buying a home

i am thinking of buying a home. are there any tips on buying, bidding, looking?

2. # ADS

First thing to do is find out what you can afford. Ask around and find a reputable and trustworthy mortgage broker.

Drive around alot, through lots of neighborhoods. Look at a lot of houses. Go to every open house you can find. Do you like the neighborhoods' ambience? Can you truly afford them? Are you flexible in your finances, or where you can live? Trust your got and respect your money.

I know it sounds dumb, but don't spend more than you can afford. You need to eat.

thanks for all the tips - it is alot to think about!!

the mortgage will always end up costing more than you think in the end so be careful when you figure out "what you can afford"

Hi Missy -

I live in GA too. When my husband and I bought our house, it was a good financial decision. But we want to move soon because our house is just not "us".

From my experience, here are some things to consider...

1) Location location location - We bought our house to build equity at a time when interest rates were fantastic. The area has also appreciated considerably in the past 3 years. So, financially, we did the right thing. But I hate the location. I have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest Whole Foods and there aren't any good restaurants nearby (all fast food). On top of that, there are gangs and reported rapes at the public schools in my area, while the good private schools can cost ~$15K per year per child.

2) New construction or used - Our house is new construction. We didn't realize how much we dislike new construction until we lived here. Unless you buy a nicer place (something we couldn't afford), everything wears out quickly and the home is NOT at all energy-efficient. We've already had to replace all of the flooring in the house and we don't have kids or dogs. Every house looks exactly the same on the inside and out as our neighbors' houses. And the workmanship is pretty poor overall.

3) Condo, townhouse, or house - Everyone has a different need and desire for home ownership. Personally, taking care of the yard is a lot more work and expensive than my husband and I had realized.

4) Size - Our house is a lot bigger than we actually need it to be. We didn't have much concept at the time of how much room we needed.

So that's all I have... I am sure that Clark Howard has some great tips online for home buying.

Good luck!

Linda

Great tips! Thanks, guys! In case someone is looking for a house or apartment, I can recommend to use fodyo real estate marketplace. It can help to find new developments, townhouses, single-family homes, overseas real estate, and investment properties. I was lucky to choose my house there.

in what country and city?

Hi everyone. Recommendations when choosing a water heater are very simple and complex at the same time. The first rule for choosing a boiler is to determine your needs, and as a result, select the volume of the storage or power of the instantaneous water heater. Determine the installation location: under the sink, above the sink, on the wall or on the floor. Determine the type of installation: horizontally or vertically. And depending on this, choose the appropriate model. Read more about how to make the right choice and not let your family down in our article below.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads