Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green Drain Cleaner?

This may be a tough one-- I've made a resolution to use more environmentally friendly products around the house. Now I have a clogged bathroom drain, and wonder if anyone has advice for a kinder, gentler Drain-o or Liquid Plumr substitute?

2. # ADS

It probably requires more than this, but I try to treat my drains once a month with some baking soda, followed by some vinegar, followed by a kettle full of boiling water.

my old house had a clogged main line, and the plumber guy said that the only thing Drain-O does is damage your pipes. considering we had been pouring it down all the drains monthly to prevent hair clogs, and still ended up with a massive clot of greasy hair, i definitely don't think it works that well.

it does seem to temporarily work on slow drains, though... i would try the baking soda/vinegar/boiling water first, since that might soften and rinse away any greasy deposits.

unfortunately the only thing that will eat through grease and hair like that is lye, which is what is in those products.

I saw something on Rachael Ray (so it's probably on her website) involving coarse salt, vinegar, and something I can't remember. I plan on trying it next time our drain clogs. Good luck!

thanks so much for your suggestions! i'll give the baking soda, vinegar and boiling water a try!

I've heard this mixture works as well. I only use natural cleaners at my house, and I read in Martha Stewart that if you pour plain boiling water down your drain about once a week, it'll help prevent any clogging problems. I haven't had any clogs since I started doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie MacDonald
    I've heard this mixture works as well. I only use natural cleaners at my house, and I read in Martha Stewart that if you pour plain boiling water down your drain about once a week, it'll help prevent any clogging problems. I haven't had any clogs since I started doing that!
    Something I do is always boil a whole pot of water when I make tea and then pour the rest down my drains (trying to go throughout the apartment to get all three sinks and bathtub at least once a week each).

i second (or third) the baking soda/vinegar/boiling water.

but when things would get really bad at this one place i used to live, draino (super-strength) and the like worked really well and i never had any problems with it damaging the pipes. and that was remarkable because that house was a total hellhole and everything was falling apart. all the time (yay ex-H....) for the most part, it was a totally eco-friendly house but sometimes you've just gotta break down and use the serious stuff. once you've got it cleared, preventative maintenance with the BS/V/BW works really well if it's a recurring problem.

you might want to disconnect the drain stopper so you can remove it from the drain. then bend a wire into a hook and shove it into the drain. that'll pull up most of the hair that is causing the problem.

Thank you for reminding me of the baking soda/vinegar trick!
    I just used it to unclog my SUPER slow drain. Well, after I cleaned out all the hair that had accumulated in there. I did about three runs of baking soda/vinegar/hot water, and then I had to use a plunger a few times, followed by more vinegar/baking soda/hot water.

I'll have to make sure to do that every week or so so that it doesn't get all gross again.

I had tried a drain unclogger, but it did not do a thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads