Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: room deodorizer

room deodorizer

can anyone recommend a natural room deodorizer? my roommate cooks really smelly food that leaves a lingering stench in the whole apartment, and it takes days to fade even with the windows open. i feel bad asking her to stop cooking reeky fish because i think it's a cultural thing. fish smells good to her, but it makes me gag.

i've tried using vinegar and water, vinegar and water with essential oils in it, and a mix of rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and water. none of them work. i don't want to use the commercial scented ones because i'm allergic to fragrances and they contain chemicals that are unhealthy. oh, and i am also allergic to the perfume they put in Febreze, so that's out too!

is there an effective home-made deodorizer?

2. # ADS

Yikes! I wonder if the fish is bad, or if you're just really sensitive to it... I ask because there is a grocery store near us that sells questionable seafood. When I cook it, the house reeks for days!

I normally just light a candle while I'm cooking and leave it on when I'm finished (and light a few matches in between). But if the scent is clinging to your carpets and furniture, that's another problem altogether.

Unfortunately, my partner has started smoking again... we don't really have a problem with food smells these days, because everything just smells like ciggies instead.

How about baking soda? Sprinkle it around, you can vacuum it up 15 minutes later or I'm sure if you don't go crazy with it you can just leave it. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think Mythbusters used vodka as a de-stinker. Anyway, good luck.

my roommate is Korean, and Korean fish dishes tend to smell very strong. i don't mind the smell of tuna (it smells like cat food to me, which i am used to) or something like salmon now and then, but this is some STANK ass fish. one of my LJ friends lives in Korea now, and she said the food is just genuinely very stinky to those who didn't grow up eating it!

i'm going to try the baking soda and candles!

I recommend baking soda because it absorbs odors rather than covering them up, I believe charcoal does the same thing (hence their inclusion in kitty litter!)

ooh, good idea! maybe i'll put a container of charcoal in the kitchen.

ground coffee!!

anytime i cook with anything smelly i put some ground coffee spread out on a plate or in a bowl...

i do the same thing when i put anything in the fridge that makes it stinky.. same with the trash...

works great!

Throwing some orange peels in the garbage disposal helps get rid of a stinky drain, but I've also found that it makes the whole kitchen smell nice after a smelly meal.

When someone burns something or cooks something smelly in the microwave, this is what works for me:
    Put water in a bowl and put in pieces of lemon or half a lemon sort of crushed, and if you have it mint or cinnamon would help, and then microwave the bowl for about thirty seconds and leave it in the microwave for a couple days or so.
    I imagine this would work outside of the microwave, like maybe in a small pot on the stove or something.

I use large cotton makeup remover circles soaked in lavender essential oil in the diaper pail and it works really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads