Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

real plants in the fishtank

i've never had real plants in the fishtank and i'm tired of looking at the plastic ones. people that i thought would definitely have them refuse to deal with them. are they a pain to maintain or something? i've got a small-ish tank (i have no idea how many gallons.... me? retain an unnecessary number?!?) with three goldfish in it. are real plants worth the effort?

2. # ADS

My little guppies love the real plants we have. They used to live in old two liter soda bottles (it was an experiment) and it's actually good for the fishies and the tank chemical balance. I've never done anything with them as far as maintanence goes, but it's some thin little stringy plant.

If the big box pet stores make it seem intimidating, come up to Seascapes in Mountain View where the fishy people are super nice and helpful. (Plus they have some crazy weird turtles!)

Dolphin Pets, in Campbell, is also nice. I think an issue with plants is taht they can introduce snails and other critters into the tank.

I've never had plants and fish coexist at the same time. I recall getting a plant pod at walmart, and I think it grew pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    My little guppies love the real plants we have. They used to live in old two liter soda bottles (it was an experiment) and it's actually good for the fishies and the tank chemical balance. I've never done anything with them as far as maintanence goes, but it's some thin little stringy plant.

If the big box pet stores make it seem intimidating, come up to Seascapes in Mountain View where the fishy people are super nice and helpful. (Plus they have some crazy weird turtles!)
    oooh yes yes! my son was so bummed that they didn't have turtles at the pet megastore last weekend, too! looks like i found something fun to do this weekend. thanks![/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by smudgy_cat
    Dolphin Pets, in Campbell, is also nice. I think an issue with plants is taht they can introduce snails and other critters into the tank.

I've never had plants and fish coexist at the same time. I recall getting a plant pod at walmart, and I think it grew pretty well.
    how funny.... i didn't realize you were a neighbor! the plant pod actually seems like a really cool idea that the kids would really get into - thanks! i look for those in MV. i heard horrible things years ago about dolphin pets and unsold baby kitties - true or not, i've never been there because of it!

my sister has plants in her fishtank, and they don't do any kind of maintenance at all for them. they're just stuck in the gravel. they also have one of those good-luck bamboo deals stuck in the tank.

i way prefer real plants. they balance the tank...the fish love them...i never had to clean my tank with them...i would just add water. the idea for me was to create a little eco-tank. if i couldn't find live plants in person (sometimes i couldn't) i would order them online. some flourish some the fish would eat up and i would just replace them...it takes a while for the fish to eat a plant.

i think live plants in the tank are great!!

sweet! i'm really starting to wonder why my friends would never deal with them....

Hmmm. I've never seen kitties at Dolphin Pets. What did you hear about them?

They have a pretty cool fish area with knowledgeable staff. And their weird critter area (bugs, snakes, lizards, etc) is fun to look at. I've always been impressed with the level of care and knowledge the people working there show.

Their prices are a bit higher than the pet-mart type places, but I feel good supporting a local business.

I had plants in my fish tank when I was a kid. I don't recall any problems. as long as you buy them from a store as opposed to say, rip them out of your local pond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads