Thread: aphids

aphids

I think the little bugs in my shamrock (oxalis) houseplant are aphids, based on the images I checked online. they are little and green and so aggravating!

I want to get rid of them naturally. Anyone have experience ridding themselves of aphids without nasty chemicals?

2. # ADS

First is manual removal. On oxalis, use your fingers to lightly pinch the stems or areas that are heaviest with the aphids and just wipe. You can crush the plant tissue easily, though. Once you get in the groove, it will be okay.

Or, use a strong spray of water to remove them. Again, oxalis will bruise somewhat easily.

Don't like those ideas? Try a kitchen made spray. Bring some water to a boil and then simmer cayenne or black pepper or hot sauce. You can strain this juice and put in a spray bottle. Spray the aphids and the stems and undersides of leaves. Take the usual hot pepper precautions. I'd use any dried old hot peppers I had around. The key is just to get the capsaicin in suspension.

Same spray idea also works with garlic. Crush or grind or juice some garlic cloves and mix with water. Strain the mash, pressing to get all the juice out. Spray that on the plants.

Aphids are tender bodied insects. The hot pepper and the garlic both are irritants to them but don't harm the plants.

Thanks! i'm going to try the hot pepper idea. Those little suckers are marching around like they own the place! Gah!

aphid control

I think if the first thing does not work then try making some garlic spray. Using garlic juice (made with puree and then some rubbing alcohol) strain it and then spray it. Garlic is commonly used in companion plantings and deters the insects by smell as the last remedy was an irritant. so this might be a second option if the irritant does not work.

When I see your post first I don’t know what aphids are. But then I search for it and got that they are sap sucking insects commonly known as green fly. You literally made me search for a new thing which now I realized a top essay writing services reviews for me as my knowledge has increased.

Remove Ads

Ads