I need help PLEASE!!

I am looking for ideas on a "cakeless" cake for my sons 2nd birthday. He is currently tube fed and we are on our first food trial of sweet potatoes. So that is the only food he can eat. That is his only safe food. And we are still in trial phase with that. We could still end up back formula only. However, he can have ice, dum dum suckers and smarties. Strange I know. I have heard of people using boxes and different things of that nature to make a cake, but not sure how to go about doing things. Would love to hear some creative ideas on a cake idea. I sometimes come up with crafty ideas, but not good at execution. lol So, if anyone has any ideas on what I could do, it would greatly appreciated. Also, any other party ideas would be great too. I don''t want to have a party where there is alot of food/snacks.I don''t mind having some foods, I just don''t want to be alot and if alot of snacks, just makes easier for my son to get hold of. Not sure if matters or not, but I would like to do his party in clifford the big red dog theme. Please help. Thanks.

2. # ADS

Can he eat anything with the sweet potatoes? Like water, milk, or butter? If he can at least have water, you could make a mashed potato pie and put a ring of smarties around it.

Check out the Martha Stewart Living website - she has tons of ideas. Maybe a simple birthday garland. Don't worry too much about it. He's two, he doesn't need to be overwhelmed by decorations.

I subscribe to the belief that anything you can use for wish making purposes constitutes a bithday cake.

You could make a "birthday tree" using dum dum suckers shoved into a styrofoam mold. For that matter, you could make a styrofoam layer cake that was covered in suckers - perhaps with ribbon or smarties glued on the outside.

You could also google "diaper cakes" to get construction ideas for a non-edible cake. Most of the designs you'll find will be too babyish for a young man of 2, but the t-shirts or whatever wrapped in rings around a dowel concept could work. Perhaps with a new Clifford toy or book for the topper?

You could start a family tradition with a special birthday wishing candle that is completely independent of a cake or whatever you plan to serve. You could pick up a pillar candle and holder at the dollar store that you would pull out every year exclusively for special birthday boy wishes. Glue some decorations to the base to make it a bit festive - as long as you stay clear of the part that will burn you should be okay.

Also handy if he grows up to prefer pie or ice cream or any other treat to cake.

Good luck!

I wanted to say kudos to craftfetish's birthday candle idea. I had a handmade birthday candle until I was 25. I wish I had a picture of it, but it is "burned up" now, and my parents have all of my young birthday pictures!

Anyhoo, my aunt made it for me and it was great! Basically, all you need is a tall pillar candle (light color works best), black paint, paintbrush and a ruler. Use the ruler to make "notches" on the candle at intervals that suit you (basically, decide how old you want the candle to go up to), and put lines at intervals with paint and add numbers. Start at 2 and go down for each year. Don't spread them apart too far, becuase you want it to burn down somewhat quickly.

Each year, about a week before my birthday, my parents brought out my birthday candle and we would light it in the center of the dinner table each night at dinnertime. When I was little, it really got me excited when I saw it come out onto the table, because I knew my birthday was coming soon.

My aunt was very artsy, so my candle was painted with butterflies and girly things, so you could add decor on the opposite side of the numbers if you wanted to, or just do the numbers and leave it! And the nice thing is, you'll have it for years to come.

As for cakes, I would say make him a sweet potato cake! If you don't care if it is edible, make up some batches of mashed sweet potatoes, add lots of water and freeze them in different sized containers, then make a tiered cake out of frozen sweet potatoes. It'll be more like an "ice sculpture" cake than an actual cake, but it would be something to remember in pictures one day! Then decorate with the suckers & smarties & you could even pipe on some mashed sweet potato frosting edges, if you wanted to!

not sure if he can have it but coldstone makes some awesome birthday cake ice cream

Remove Ads

Ads