musical education for the kiddo

I'm so excited! I'm making my 9 year old sold his first mixtape (mix cd i guess). We listen to my ipod when we ride the bus, and lately he's actually giving me feedback on which songs he dislikes and likes. I'm overjoyed cuz he likes really good music, hehehe. His favorites were "Oh Yoko" by John Lennon, "In One Ear and Out the Other" by Fujiya & Miyagi, and "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers. I was kind of weirded out by him liking a song about heroin, but I guess I just have to come to terms with virtually every song being about sex, drugs and/or violence.
    I'm going through my itunes now to burn him a cd, and I just realized that this is a momentous occasion - I could be making his musical tastes for the rest of his life! So I'm trying to give him a good overview of the bestest of the bestest music in history.
    My question for y'all, then, is what songs/bands would you give your kids to listen to? What do you think is, um, necessary for a kid's first mix?

2. # ADS

just bumped one of my early posts here for this.... http://getcrafty.com/viewtopic.php?t...2f1c649ef3d0ef
    your son definitely has good taste; early influences definitely shape future tastes; sounds like he's getting them!

once i get my mind into it, i'll definitely have some suggestions to add.

(oh, and mixtape is what the cool kids are calling them these days!)

We've never done the "kid's music" route with our kids, becuase after watching the Wiggles for the first time, I thought I was going to die. So they have always just listened to what we listen too.

We try to keep it to "clean" songs, that don't need to be edited, otherwise we download from sites for them that have been edited.

Some of his favorites songs/bands are Tainted Love (they love the beat on this one), Counting Crows, Nickleback, and some others.

My 6 year old really likes rap & r&b...which just about kills me, becuase the majority of those songs are not suitable for his age group...so I just try to weed out what he can and can't listen too.

Remove Ads

Ads