I just had a baby!

HI,

I just had a baby girl on May 8. I am finding it hard to manage my work-from-home career (professional writer) and my Etsy shop (fabris plus graphic design)

Any tips for coping??????? I am seriosuly losing it! xoxox

www.allieb.etsy.com

2. # ADS

Give yourself some time. Know that it will take at least 2 months -- and possibly longer -- for you to be able to devote any time to your work. Make your standards for yourself more realistic. Newborns take a lot of time and energy, especially if they're "sleepless wonders," the way both my kids were.

You not only have a baby, you are also a "baby mother," and this is a craft and art that takes time to get used to, much less learn. It is also the most important skill you will develop, at least or most importantly for your daughter.

Frankly, it was 6 weeks before I I could make my bed, take a shower, get dressed and get two daily meals into myself. The fact that you are able to post with a 3-week old is pretty amazing.

Yeah, I agree with mrs. stroozi. My 2nd is about 5.5 months old and I am just now starting to get it together... and some days I don't have it together. I advise giving yourself more time to fill orders on etsy, etc (put a note up on your page), and assess if there is anything in your shop you can stop doing for now...

Don't expect too much of yourself. Give yourself grace to slow down, and don't forget to enjoy your baby! She won't be little forever.

This may or may not be possible for you, but how much is your family helping out?

I had both grandmothers in a different city, but was able to get them to each fly in for two weeks during different periods.

I know that''s only a month of help, but it could be a great break for you and help things to get kick started.

I had a baby boy may 1st, my shower time is about 5 minutes and that includes getting dressed, doing hair, and make up if I actully put it on.
    I understand completely how you feel! I'm tring to knit/sew a sachet for my grandmother's birthday and it hasn't been easy. I have until the 1st week of august.

congratulations on all the new babies!

Me-time

Huge congrats on your little baby girl!

I don''t have any children, but as a writer, I completely understand how difficult you must be finding it to write when things are so frantic at home!

Creativity requires different environments for different people. I personally need absolute peace and quiet to get anything done - I''m pretty fussy!

I would suggest trying to find an hour a day or maybe just an hour a week at first, in which to just be by yourself and with your own creative thoughts. Like I said - I don''t have babies, so I can''t imagine how busy you much be at the moment, but maybe finding a few minutes a week will help bring you more peace of (creative) mind!

Relaxation / meditation techniques might help bring yourself into your mode of working too - things like focusing on breathing and relaxing muscles, then taking yourself to an imaginary place when you can feel completely rested and yet driven to create could be useful. I was taught to use something similar when finishing my dissertation.

As some of the others have said, take it easy, and don''t worry about what you have and haven''t done when it comes to your arts - your little one will not be little for long!

Take care,

I see that it has been a while since you posted. Hopefully things are better for you. You may want to consider hiring a mother''s helper.

Anna

Remove Ads

Ads