Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need all sorts of help/advice!

Hi! I am new to the forum, this is my first post. I need lots of decorating help. My husband is in the military, so we currently are living in an apartment. As he plans to go career, this will be the norm for a while. But apartments never feel like home to me and I want this one to be different. We are expecting our second child at the end of November and I hope to make this place feel more comfortable by then. My dilemma right now is I want to paint. The apartment complex says it''s okay as long as I paint it back and since we will be here for at least 8 more months, I think it''s a reasonable thing to do. Now color choices.... I have two daughters, so I automatically want to paint their rooms pink, but I don''t think that''s such a great idea. What are some good color choices for a toddler and a baby? As for our bedroom. It is HUGE and I want to make is feel cosier. My husband and I agree we like neutral colors with pop colors here and there. So I figured neutral wall color and bright accessories. But I don''t know what color would work. The other problem ,lol, there are a lot, is the living room/dining room. They are one long room, seperated by the walkway from the front door. I am thinking about doing an accent color on the wall you see when you walk in and carrying it into both rooms, then painting a neutral color on the other walls. ONce again, we live earthy colors. Our table is dark wood and our furniture are different shades of brown. So the help I am needing now are color schemes for these rooms. Sorry this is so long. Thank you for ANY help!

2. # ADS

you really want to paint TWICE in 8 months with two kids? you're brave! my suggestion would be to find some textiles that you really love that you could use again and again whenever you move. that way, no matter where or how many times you move, you'll have that feel of home.

You might like to try wall decals-i thought they would be ugly and cheap looking, but for my daughters nursery they ended up looking great-easy to do a theme with out spending a fortune or smelling up the place with paint fumes.

You can also get a large (think 48"x48" or bigger) can vas and paint that and hang it. Much easier to fill a few holes then to repaint, and if you want you can always paint them another color if you move. You could asl get your kids in on the action and let them make art for their room... could be fun to have when they are older.

Quote Originally Posted by quornflour
    You can also get a large (think 48"x48" or bigger) can vas and paint that and hang it. Much easier to fill a few holes then to repaint, and if you want you can always paint them another color if you move. You could asl get your kids in on the action and let them make art for their room... could be fun to have when they are older.
    that's actually something i've (kinda) done; but mod podged fabrics and tissue papers onto the canvasses, as well as used the fabrics elsewhere, like mod podged switchplates i can just switch out when we move. that way, rental to rental, we'll have our own touch.

i don''t know wether you like goods with chinese character or not, if so, your home will be comfortable and sepicial

We're also military and living in an on-post townhouse (and also career). Frankly I don't bother with painting. We didn't even paint the house we bought at our previous station until we had to move, even then we just re-whited everything. When I get the urge to paint, I find something removeable and repaintable, like the unfinished wood dresser we got in Ikea five years ago. When I get bored I paint again. Think of things that are useful like rocking chairs and little girls tea tables/chairs (saw some of those at Joanns this week), or even a dollhouse. They sell inexpensive dollhouse kits on amazon and Ebay. They look like a good outlet for those of us who want to paint everything that isn't nailed down.

For bare walls, Joanns sells wall decal kits now that are absolutely FUN. The larger ones are on the pricey side but probably cheaper than a couple of gallons of paint. If you do go the paint route just make sure it's not something that is so dark or patterned that it will cost more to white it out than it was to initially paint. Another Idea that I might use for Mia's room is using my Joanns/Hancock/Michaels coupons to get some of the super large canvases and doing simple color combos or patterns on those. It will give dimention that is portable since we move a lot. Congrats on the baby and have fun!

I recommend using rich and contrasting fabrics with colors that pop! Also, lots of pillows and nice window treatments really finish a room off, as well as rugs. That way you can take the stuff with you when you move and your next apartment will already feel like home.

Anna

Wall Decals are a cool idea. I've seen some pretty ones in sort of line-artsy styles that aren't too distracting

I saw others have recommended using different kinds of materials to brighten up the rooms. You could always get canvases and cover them in a selected material and dot them around the room, even coordinate it by covering cushions etc This way you can bring them with you when you move and you just need to find a space on the wall for them! Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads