Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My Black & White Photo Flooring

Administrator

My Black & White Photo Flooring

A few years ago I remodeled an old A-Frame cabin that needed a LOT of help. The house was so out dated and was in need of a completely new look. While I completely redesigned the house, one feature still stands out today and that's the black and white photo floor that I did in the guest bath.

I was on a pretty tight budget and I really didn't have the funds to tear out the bath or the flooring. So I got crafty and I decided to cover up the bad instead of going through all the time and expense in removing everything.

One day I had stumbled onto some paper mache that a friend had done out of old paper bags and sealed with a water based polyurethane. It looked amazingly close to a distressed wood floor. So my wheels started turning and I got the crazy to try it out as a flooring. Since the bathroom floor was covered in an old vinyl I figured it would make for a nice flat surface for this project.

The tub surround and walls were in desperate need of help as well, so I decided on another cover-up trick, sheet metal and corrugated tin. Now with these shinny silve walls and accents in mind I wasn't content with just brown floors. That's when it hit me, if I'm going to cover the floor in paper, why not do it with some style!

So I spent the next few days going through as many magazines as I could dig up and I cut out all the cool black and white photos I could find. Once I had a significant pile of photos I took to spreading them out on the bathroom floor. After trimming the photos to fit around the bathroom curves and walls it was ready to seal. I took my time on this process and probably laid down at least eight really thick coats of polyurethane. I would do one coat across the entire floor, set up and fan and allow it to dry throughly. Then I'd come back once it was dry and do it all again. Once I finally had enough coats on it and had it all trimmed out, I stepped back and was in awe. The floor came out amazingly well! It was now the show piece whenever someone came over to visit

Here's the before picture of the 60's powder blue mess I had to work with:

Unfortunately I didn't take more photos of this bath before from different angles, but at the time I didn't have any idea that it would have turned out so cool!

And here's after the makeover:

2. # ADS

Administrator
    Looks awesome!
    GetCrafty.com - Your Arts & Crafts Forum.
    Did someone post something you found interesting? Did you enjoy their post? Be sure to thank them by clicking 'Like' on their post.

That's definitely different! I don't know if I would have had the decorating guts to do that, so kudos to you! I'm sure you must get lots of compliments on the floor! The bathroom kind of reminds me a cool and funky nightclub bathroom.

That is absolutely STUNNING! The rest of the bathroom is pretty darned gorgeous, too.

That is so cool! I love the way it turned out - has it held up to daily wear and tear from walking on it? That's the only thing I'd be worried about in doing a project like that.

It's SO stylish! I would do the same in my bathroom but i am a bit preocupied with that polyurethane drying process...Did you use a protective mask or smth like that? I think that my lungs wouldn't thank me for doing such a thing with no protection

This is the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life. I wish I had your bathroom, that was so creative. I love it so much I would marry it if it asked me.

This is reminiscent of a wall I did back in the 70's. I didn't use just photos though, I also added headlines from newspapers.

I love your floor.
    Check out my artfire studio.

http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs

WOW! You really brought life and personality to your bathroom. Very Nice!

Super Moderator
    Wow, I absolutely love that! So creative!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads