Thread: Celli!

Celli!

Hey, there were a lot of cellists popping up in the top 5 buys thread. Can we get a roll call?

I'm one! Since I was 3 and I made a lot of awful noises. My mom would never let me quit in high school, then I didn't play for about four years after freshman year of college, now I'm in two community orchestras which I love for very different reasons.

(Yeah, you bassoonists can post too, you're like the cellos of the woodwinds.)

2. # ADS

OH I LOVE PEOPLE WHO PLAY CELLO ALL CAPS.

It's one of the sexiest instruments ever.

i basically learned on my own. i started in elementary school when i was in sixth grade, then joined a local weekend conservatory all through high school and played in school and local community orchestras. i also played with the university orchestra for two years until the new conductor pissed me off and i quit. :(

oh, and i took lessons for a year. senior year of college, baby. wish i had more time to practice.

how i wish i own an instrument. i've always loaned from the school.

jangrl

I sort-of play...I played violin from the age of 8 through college. I picked up cello in high school and I loved it...I studied music in college for 3 years but dropped it after a while. I decided to start playing music again a few years ago - I still have my violin but I always preferred cello so I bought a cello! It's red, just like my violin.

I no longer have a job that finances such things so I can't afford lessons so it sits in my living room...sometimes I play but I can't play as well as I used to and I get frustrated. I need lessons!

i started playing when i was 8 years old, and played steadily for over ten years. i loved it, and i'll even add that i was fairly good. i practiced one to two hours a day and took private lessons for years. my mother paid for them with money from calligraphy jobs. in college, i hated the conductor and quit. i recently got my own cello, and through a craigslist post, i managed to borrow a hard case to fly it out to california.

and i never play. it's such a lower quality than the instruments i've rented in the past, it needs new strings, a new bridge, and some other work that i can't afford. it's a huge source of depression to me actually, that i finally have an instrument and i still can't play.

Oh, Athos, find a dinky community college orchestra to play at! I love mine. With your skills, you and your cello that needs work will still sound better than half the orchestra.

I really wish I could get myself to practice, I just had such a bad feeling about it when I was little (isolated clear at the other side of the house while everyone else watched TV together) I've never really been able to enjoy it.

i don't play cello, but i just wanted to say, i think it is a fabulous instrument.

i myself have been playing piano for 9 years or so.

My old roommate played cello and I play flute, so we used to play together. It worked pretty well. It just has such a rich, warm sound which really appeals to me after being the piccolo player for years and years.

I played for about six years of school, took private lessons in the summers, and went to musical summer programs throughout school. I played at home without lessons and for a couple years after that. Then I hit a bad patch in my early twenties, slowly stopped playing, and ended up selling my cello.

I miss it lots, but I'm kind of scared to try to pick it up again because I'll sound like crap, and I used to be fairly good...

-S

I'm the bassoon player. rratstarr, I feel the same way. I used to be so good and now my embouchure is blown within minutes! I may never reach that level again, wah. On the upside, my daughter just started viola. I tried to convince her to play cello but she just looked at me like I was crazy.

Remove Ads

Ads